CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gearing

R1000

Any opinions for changed geraing like going down to 16 or 15 front? The top speed is more than normally needed, and it could be nice to have more torque on the rear wheel on all gears.

Alot of people go with the 16 front. It's cheap and easy (like some people around here). :icon_biggrin:

Thanks, that means it could be a good move, it will only increase the rpm by about 6 %, so I don't think it will be annoying. I stepped down from 17 to 16 on the GSX R1000, which feels real good.

I'll order a 16 front to the Bird, which I believe will be fine for me. The bike feels to weak in midrange on 5th and 6th gear. Maybe the carb needles have to be raised to cure this midrange weakness. The bike is incredibly strong up in rpm and runs well all the way down in rpm so it seems to be a tuning question. When full throttle is given at 5 k on 6th, I can hear the throaty air sound, but the real response is missing.

Alot of people go with the 16 front. It's cheap and easy (like some people around here). :icon_biggrin:

Thanks, that means it could be a good move, it will only increase the rpm by about 6 %, so I don't think it will be annoying. I stepped down from 17 to 16 on the GSX R1000, which feels real good.

I'll order a 16 front to the Bird, which I believe will be fine for me. The bike feels to weak in midrange on 5th and 6th gear. Maybe the carb needles have to be raised to cure this midrange weakness. The bike is incredibly strong up in rpm and runs well all the way down in rpm so it seems to be a tuning question. When full throttle is given at 5 k on 6th, I can hear the throaty air sound, but the real response is missing.

You're right. Things don't start to happen until 7k. Then it turns into a different bike. Do yourself a favour before you swap the primary. Try kicking it down one more if you're looking for some acceleration. Just get ready to shift again because it will hit the limiter before you know it. Took me a full season and more to get used to the powerband. I was always getting caught in the wrong gear.

marty

You're right. Things don't start to happen until 7k. Then it turns into a different bike. Do yourself a favour before you swap the primary. Try kicking it down one more if you're looking for some acceleration. Just get ready to shift again because it will hit the limiter before you know it. Took me a full season and more to get used to the powerband. I was always getting caught in the wrong gear.

marty

I agree with Marty, although my 02 has a pc3, + slip ons and a K&N, I wouldn't change the gearing. I cruzes on the hiway perfectly but more often than not I downshift 1 or 2 for a quick pass. Things happen fast, very fast, at that point. Plus I love to upshift next to the driver's window. I've been riding by bird for 4 years now and I still play when I need more power. "Sluggish" seems a subjective point of view. In 6th gear, sweeping 7,000 rpm is sweeping 200 kmp and climbing fast, very fast. In 5th and 4th gear even faster!!!!!!!! Play with the gears and remember it's a long way to red line. Try bouncing off the rev limiter in 4th, 5th, and 6th and then decide if you want to change the gearing. Cheers

The point is that for $30 and very little work, he can find out.

New front gear ordered, I'll report my findings later. The old commuter, CBR 1000 F -92, pulled very well from 3 k to 10+k, I expect this bike to do the same. One reason for the below 7 k weakness on 5th and 6th gear, is the 300 km/h gearing on the Blackbird (the old bike was geared for 260 km/h). A 16 instead of 17 teeth front gear will certainly help to some degree.

New front gear ordered, I'll report my findings later. The old commuter, CBR 1000 F -92, pulled very well from 3 k to 10+k, I expect this bike to do the same. One reason for the below 7 k weakness on 5th and 6th gear, is the 300 km/h gearing on the Blackbird (the old bike was geared for 260 km/h). A 16 instead of 17 teeth front gear will certainly help to some degree.

No need to report back... it's been done... and reported... and done... and reported... a search will turn it up... It won't "like" to cruise at 100mph like it does now, and highway mileage will drop, but it'll be a bit quicker in the low speeds. done.

Mike

16 teeth front installed and tested today. This is the perfect gearing to me, the bike is more responsive and the bad over-gear feeling on 6th disappeared :icon_angel: . The rev is now exactly as I'm used to from the GSX R1000 -03, which is fine when changin between bikes. Some of the shifting roughness also disappeared. This is a highly recommended change for those who have more interest in overall performance (except fuel consumtion) than absolute top speed, and the top speed will only go down by 6 %, theoretically. I guess the top speed doesn't suffer that much since the engine will reach full rpm better.