CBR1100XX.org Forum

Delink??

haWHYnXX

Just bought an XX this June :icon_dance: and THANKS to the many threads on this site, have been able to remedy the FI light problem, and fix that annoying CCT rattle. Recently saw a post for braided lines and one of the changes made was to delink. Question is why would one want to disable what I could only perceive as a great asset to the bike? What are the pros and cons??

Guest rockmeupto125

Just bought an XX this June :icon_dance: and THANKS to the many threads on this site, have been able to remedy the FI light problem, and fix that annoying CCT rattle. Recently saw a post for braided lines and one of the changes made was to delink. Question is why would one want to disable what I could only perceive as a great asset to the bike? What are the pros and cons??

Reasons to delink...

You're having trouble backing it in.

Your macho values of "I know how to ride a bike" are challenged by linked brakes.

You just like the feel and control of separated brakes.

You don't like the front sliding when there's dirt or gravel on the road and you apply the rear brakes.

I'm sure there's more..those are just a few that spring to mind.

Question is why would one want to disable what I could only perceive as a great asset to the bike? What are the pros and cons??

I had a VFR with linked brakes also and the only con I've had was the VFR would lock the rear wheel if you downshifted too hard and did not match the revs. I learned this on the VFR and have not done it on the Blackbird.

One possible con in the extra pluming means the brakes are "spungy" but steel braided cables wound help this as they would on any bike, perhaps a little more so on a linked bike. I bleed the brakes when the bike was new and they seem fine to me if a little progressive. By this I mean the initial stop for a given amount of front lever pressure then builds without an increase in pressure on the lever.

The one person I spoke to about the topic who actually had unlinked his Blackbird said he could feel the extra power of the 6 front pots but I don't think he had steel lines prior to unlinked so it's not really apples to apples. I counter this by covering the rear brake prior to throttle rolloff. This sets the bike up for a corner nicely and when I squeeze the front all 6 pots are functioning.

Question is why would one want to disable what I could only perceive as a great asset to the bike? What are the pros and cons??

I had a VFR with linked brakes also and the only con I've had was the VFR would lock the rear wheel if you downshifted too hard and did not match the revs. I learned this on the VFR and have not done it on the Blackbird.

What the hell does engine braking have to do with brakes, linked or otherwise?

With linked brakes if you're on the front brake you're also applying some rear, so if you make a hard downshift it's easier for the rear wheel to lock up

Sorry, normally you could just now use the rear brake. With linked brakes as you brake the front you also use up tracktion in the rear. Through in a downshift and you can lock the rear. Some people don't use the rear brake at all just for this reason. With linked brakes, you don't have the option.

You don't like the front sliding when there's dirt or gravel on the road and you apply the rear brakes.

Wow, never thought of that. Thanks for the info.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened to other owners. I'm sure it has, but I actually tried to get the front to lock up on loose gravel by using the back and couldn't do it.

marty

I'm not saying it hasn't happened to other owners. I'm sure it has, but I actually tried to get the front to lock up on loose gravel by using the back and couldn't do it.

marty

i've only locked a wheel on my bird once. it was almost exactly two weeks ago at bretts' place (airbornexx).

i didnt remember the linked brake thing and hit the rear hard on his railroad-rock driveway.

the rear kept rolling, but the front locked. :icon_eek:.

i'll certainly remember that from this point.

Yeah, I have pounded the brakes on mine under 'test conditions' to see what they would do at 100%.

If I mash the rear as hard as I can, the bike just slows down.

If I grab the front as hard as I can, the bike just slows down.

If I apply both, the bike just slows down really fast.

The only reason I would delink would be for simplicity of service/bleeding. Much more complicated.

If you want to feel all six front pistons, use the foot pedal and apply the centers. It's easy.

:)