CBR1100XX.org Forum

Have Questions mounting Scorpion slip ons.

Venus97

I just received my new Oval slip ons from Scorpion, they are beautiful. I hope they sound at least half as good as they look! Boy those Brits know how to make 'em.

Anyway, I used my Haynes manual and removed the right stock muffler. (What a heavy beast) Anyway, I was thinking I had to remove and re-use the old seal, but after 9 yrs of riding, that baby is baked in there.

The Scorpion directions are not all that good, says to use OEM components if not supplied with the Scorpion parts. Then on another piece of paper it said some parts may not be needed in some applications. (It grouped the Blackbird with the R1 and something else.)

I then examined the Scorpion mid pipe and it is a smaller diameter than the stock muffler, and felt there is no way there is room for any type of solid gasket-it is tight enough metal to metal.

I am guessing I just need to apply some high temp liquid gasket and clamp it up.

Any tips/pointers you guys can give me? I am hoping to complete it the project tomorrow.

I just received my new Oval slip ons from Scorpion, they are beautiful. I hope they sound at least half as good as they look! Boy those Brits know how to make 'em.

Anyway, I used my Haynes manual and removed the right stock muffler. (What a heavy beast) Anyway, I was thinking I had to remove and re-use the old seal, but after 9 yrs of riding, that baby is baked in there.

The Scorpion directions are not all that good, says to use OEM components if not supplied with the Scorpion parts. Then on another piece of paper it said some parts may not be needed in some applications. (It grouped the Blackbird with the R1 and something else.)

I then examined the Scorpion mid pipe and it is a smaller diameter than the stock muffler, and felt there is no way there is room for any type of solid gasket-it is tight enough metal to metal.

I am guessing I just need to apply some high temp liquid gasket and clamp it up.

Any tips/pointers you guys can give me? I am hoping to complete it the project tomorrow.

just slip them on no gasket needed. :icon_razz:

I always run a bead of high temp gasket sealant around the inside of the new mid pipe before sliding it over the collector, and another bead around the outside of the mid before slipping the can over it. Seals the system up nicely and avoids exhaust leaks. The new M series Two Brothers cans I got don't have slip on's, they actually bolt up with an X-Ring so there are no springs, and no gaskets needed either.

Just slip them on. They sound great, not too loud, but you can hear them. I have an issue with the center stand bumper. The center stand doesn't even come close to hittimg the bumper, it hits the pipe instead. I pulled the center stand off to to avoid this. Let me know if you have the same problem.

i had problems with the centerstand stop, so i just ignored it and bought one from J. search for centerstand stop in the for sale section.

i also used the stock gaskets, although they were very, very tight.....

Well, I tried again to mount the right side mid pipe and got it on further this time (probably 3/4) by using a drop of oil inside and a rubber mallet. (I said it was tight)

I thought it lined up well in installing the muffler, but it was a tad angled in. Now I cannot get the blasted thing in/out/sideways.

I'm thinking of warming the end with the hand held propane torch to get the metal to expand and loosen.

Does this sound logical or .. :icon_duh: ?

Any other suggestions?

I'm thinking someone goofed and made the diameter too small because it should not be that tight installing.

The other end works fine with the can.