CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID's

Canadian Bird

I assume those who do a fair amount of night riding convert to HID or 100 watts therefore if one never to extremely rarely rides at night it isn't necessary. In the states do the headlights stay on during the day? Is is ok to ride with high beams on? Just a few ?'s b/c I can't sleep so I'm up and about.

In the states it is a DOT law that the headlight must be on during operation. As for driving around with the high beam on with HID's , I'd suggest you don't. It wickedly bright and yes,,,,, more people will see you but they also may have an adverse reaction to that as well because it's annoyingly bright to anyone in it's path.

BTW, with the HID's , with both high beam and low beam on, they draw less current than just the 100W lamp you were considering. If you drive in a lot of traffic, that extra reserve in the electrical system is a bonus to have.

Got some links for HID's?

And or do you know of some good aftermark bulbs?

Stephen

Got some links for HID's?

And or do you know of some good aftermark bulbs?

Stephen

Contact "Hidseller" on ebay. His first name is Andy. He was selling the kits for the group buy here last year. It should come it at about $200 for the 5300K kit and $8 more for the 6000K kit ( shipping included ). He gets it to your home in 3 days from Hong Kong. Mention that you heard about him from a motorcycle forum group buy. He'll still sell at good prices.

Adam

I will add; DO NOT use the HID in both beams unless you're out in the desert and can leave the high beam on for extended amounts of time at night! HID doesn't like to cycle on and off, and where I live anyway, I've got to keep flipping the highs on and off at night, because of traffic out in the country...

Also, for the high beam, spend the $25 and get the H9 burner on the H7 base from danielsternlighting.com... it's a 65W, and has 2200lumens, instead of the factory 1300 lumens, and is only 10W more... It also does VERY well, even compared to my HID low beam...

Mike

I will add; DO NOT use the HID in both beams unless you're out in the desert and can leave the high beam on for extended amounts of time at night! HID doesn't like to cycle on and off, and where I live anyway, I've got to keep flipping the highs on and off at night, because of traffic out in the country...

Also, for the high beam, spend the $25 and get the H9 burner on the H7 base from danielsternlighting.com... it's a 65W, and has 2200lumens, instead of the factory 1300 lumens, and is only 10W more... It also does VERY well, even compared to my HID low beam...

Mike

I totally agree with Mike, although I think we're a minority here in that respect. It all depends on your circumstances. I rarely get to leave my high beam on for extended lengths of time, so only the low beam is HID. It does just fine and seems to light up the sides really well to look for critters. The XX headlight assy it seams was almost designed with HID in mind.

No one, and I mean no one as far as I know had any kind of problem with Andy for that group buy, and he sold us one hell of a lot of sets. He was very fast, all the hardware was there and it works like a charm.

marty

Mike

I totally agree with Mike, although I think we're a minority here in that respect. It all depends on your circumstances. I rarely get to leave my high beam on for extended lengths of time, so only the low beam is HID. It does just fine and seems to light up the sides really well to look for critters. The XX headlight assy it seams was almost designed with HID in mind.

No one, and I mean no one as far as I know had any kind of problem with Andy for that group buy, and he sold us one hell of a lot of sets. He was very fast, all the hardware was there and it works like a charm.

marty

+1

Noone had a problem and I ordered over 15 sets from him and just ordered another set last night for Scott's bike to be installed before he arrives here to go to NEXXT. 6000K recommended by Andy is $203.00 delivered FedEx International Express in 3-5 days depending on customs. It will be marked as a commercial sample or a warrenty replacement to avoid any added customs fee's.

What is involved for the HID conversion, basically how difficult is it to do by one person. Do you have to remove the fairing panels and such, is the wiring a plug and play kind of deal etc... Can you lay it out for the avergae Joe in what it takes to install and how long and such? I work 2-pm to midnight so I drive at night a lot and am very interested in this. :icon_dance:

What is involved for the HID conversion, basically how difficult is it to do by one person. Do you have to remove the fairing panels and such, is the wiring a plug and play kind of deal etc... Can you lay it out for the avergae Joe in what it takes to install and how long and such? I work 2-pm to midnight so I drive at night a lot and am very interested in this. :icon_dance:

There is so much here on that, it will blow your mind. Do a search my friend and you'll find the HID install down to the smallest detail, pictures and all. It's a cakewalk, really.

marty