CBR1100XX.org Forum

To those with bone stock carbureted XX's

Eric_The_Jew

Well, I finally picked up my Bird today; a pristine 1998 model, bone stock, with only 6,500 miles. I love the bike, but the carburetion seems "fluffy" at idle and just off idle. The idle sounds somewhat rough, and while riding around town riding at very small throttle positions, it lurches and feels a little rough. I know these bikes are jetted lean (the pilot screws) from the factory, but has anyone else experienced this rough running? I'm trying to decide if this is how the bike ran from the factory, or if I might have bigger problems, such as needing a carb synch or carb cleaning.

The previous owner said the bike never sat for more than four months (short winters here in the Southeast). Any suggestions?

E.T.J. ,

Although I have an FI bike, it too is a bit "lumpy" at idle and at very light low RM throttle inputs. I wonder if it has anything to do with the cam profiles? I don't know the factory specs so I might just be whistling to myself with this one. Jeeze,,,, I don't even know anyone with a carbed XX that kept it totally stock.

i had to clean mine out due to having it parked for 5months, similar problems as yours and just got worse tried seafoam, injector cleaner didn't help.

now runs like new , no lumps

2cents :icon_whistle:

I have a stock 98 and have never noticed any rough idle outside of cold winter starts. Once it warms up (about 30 seconds - 1 min in the cold, about 10-20 seconds in the summer), it's nice and smooth. I think the longest stretch my bike has ever sat is about 3 weeks.

Clean the carbs and check the plugs, maybe not even in that order.

Tom

i had to clean mine out due to having it parked for 5months, similar problems as yours and just got worse tried seafoam, injector cleaner didn't help.

now runs like new , no lumps

2cents :icon_whistle:

Did you clean the carbs yourself?? What circuit was dirty? (e.g. needles, pilot jets, etc. etc.)

What are you idling at? I set mine a pubic hair above spec and it makes a shitload of difference.

I'm idling at 1,100 right now, but I know that's not the problem. It sounds almost like it's running on three cylinders at steady cruising throttle (when it's on the pilot jet). I know now that I most likely have a clogged pilot.

I bought a bottle of Techron today. I'll give that a shot, but I have NEVER had luck with any type of fuel additive when it comes to dirty carbs. It's more than likely gonna need a good old fashioned carb cleaning.