CBR1100XX.org Forum

Full or Slip Ons?

G-Man

I am considering an exhaust change, but I just put on the OEM panniers (from Sport Touring Accessories) which will stay on the bike permenantly. My questions are: If I go with slip ons, (I'm leaning towards titanium, or stainless) does oval have an advantage over round, will oval fit? What are the pros and cons between Staintunes, Blue Flames, Jardine, or Erions? My goal is to keep the exhaust quiet as possible (stealth mode so as to not draw attention from "The man") with gaining torque, and losing the weight of the OEM cans. If a "Ti Force" or "Akropoviac" full system (4 into 1) will clear my panniers will it be much louder than stock?, is the oil filter still accessible?, will the center stand still be usable? I really don't want to remap the FI because I have no jerkyness or bucking what so ever. Staintunes claim no jetting or computer work is necessary. I don't care about gaining top end (when I blew around a fat tire HD at 148 mph indicated, I had a shit stain in my skivvies), meaning this bike is faster than I'll ever need. This is an 02 Bird with a completely stock engine. Opinions please!

The Staintune's will be the quietest, but won't offer the highest weight savings. You could go with titanium Jardine slip-ons, which should work fine with the bags, or pretty much any slip-on other than 2bros or D&D as loudness is not what you're looking for.

For maximum weight savings, go with a full system, but they will be louder than stock. The Akrapovic is the best affordable full system, but has issues with the center stand, and has rad clearance issues with some bikes, as well.

The TiForce fits like a glove, offers the best weight savings, the most power, and has no problems with the center stand. It's the most expensive by quite a margin, however.

The Staintune's will be the quietest, but won't offer the highest weight savings. You could go with titanium Jardine slip-ons, which should work fine with the bags, or pretty much any slip-on other than 2bros or D&D as loudness is not what you're looking for.

For maximum weight savings, go with a full system, but they will be louder than stock. The Akrapovic is the best affordable full system, but has issues with the center stand, and has rad clearance issues with some bikes, as well.

The TiForce fits like a glove, offers the best weight savings, the most power, and has no problems with the center stand. It's the most expensive by quite a margin, however.

+1

I love my Akro full 4-2-1 but no centerstand anymore.

Is there any truth to the statement that, slip ons will give you more torque, and a 4 into 1 system will add more for top end gains? Thanks.

I run a Yoshimura R3 4-2-1 on my 01......bought it on ebay for 520$ runs louder than my stock pipes...., fits like a glove, no problem with oil filter, weights about 1/2 as much as my stock set up did and can still use my center stand.

Go with a full system, it's well worth it...how ever if you go the slip on route, get the larger oval pipe. I saw a bird this summer with small oval slip on's and I thought it looked like crap.

I am considering an exhaust change, but I just put on the OEM panniers (from Sport Touring Accessories) which will stay on the bike permenantly. My questions are: If I go with slip ons, (I'm leaning towards titanium, or stainless) does oval have an advantage over round, will oval fit? What are the pros and cons between Staintunes, Blue Flames, Jardine, or Erions? My goal is to keep the exhaust quiet as possible (stealth mode so as to not draw attention from "The man") with gaining torque, and losing the weight of the OEM cans. If a "Ti Force" or "Akropoviac" full system (4 into 1) will clear my panniers will it be much louder than stock?, is the oil filter still accessible?, will the center stand still be usable? I really don't want to remap the FI because I have no jerkyness or bucking what so ever. Staintunes claim no jetting or computer work is necessary. I don't care about gaining top end (when I blew around a fat tire HD at 148 mph indicated, I had a shit stain in my skivvies), meaning this bike is faster than I'll ever need. This is an 02 Bird with a completely stock engine. Opinions please!

I'm on the same boat you are. I would LOVE to get the "euro-legal" Akrapovic but it looks like they are not loud enough so nobody brings them here. And I ain't paying the 1200 euros they cost over there. My other option is the 'tunes which I should be getting soon. I like louder than stock but I don't want to be obnoxious about it. So 'tunes it will be for me.

With the twists and poor 'T' coming off the end of the header, a full system is the way to go on this bike. I had 2Bros slip-ons and they were loud as hell(I did get them for $200, then sold them). The Micron makes a great power curve and is actually quieter than the slip ons. It's also an oval and if you get carbon, you don't have to worry about heat near the bags.