CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clattery/box of rocks rattle

sandman

XX in question is a stock '00 with 14K miles.

Motor has a very clattery rattle over 3K rpm on trailing or closed throttle, very noticeable. On the throttle you don't hear it, omly on closed or trailing throttle- you can't miss hearing it, just doesn't sound right. I've owned plenty of CBR's over the years and have done my share of cam chain tensioner replacements, and this rattle/clatter doesn't sound like that to me- no death rattle at cold start up that you get when you need one.

Assuming I'm correct about it not needing a cct at 14K miles (am I calling it wrong here?), would the other likely causes be:

1.) loose valve(s), adjustement badly needed? I'm second owner, and I suspect the original owner didn't take it in for the initial 600mile check, if that matters in this case.

2.) Adjustment needed on the counterbalancers?

I'm about to pull the fairings for some other service, so I'd thought I'd ask here for the likeliest source to check out first on this issue. It's driving me nuts- gotta find the cause!

TIA. You guys rock. :icon_biggrin:

Guest rockmeupto125

Change the CCT. Its cheap, easy, and may be your problem.

Its profoundly unlikely that the valves are out of adjustment...especially enough to cause that type/amount of noise. Its not a Ducati.

Will changing the CCT quell any of the slight buzz my XX has developed through the bars over the years? It's not much but it is noticeable at some speeds. My XX has 22k miles on it with oil changes EVERY 3K without fail.

Just wondering.

I just replaced the CCT on my bike at 11K. The bag o' marbles is gone. As far as service, I am the second owner with the first owner being very meticulous about taking care of his/my bike - as in all services done at the correct intervals.

Oh, and I recommend getting in touch with John01XX - his price was waaaay better than the stealer's and I received mine on the left coast 3 days after ordering.

Well, I'd thought I'd post an update on this. It absolutely WAS the cct- your advice was right on the money, Mr.rockmeupto125. This sure didn't sound like the usual CBR cam chain tensioner noises to me, and I mentioned I've been changing them on all my past CBR's: CBR1000 Hurricane, CBR1000F, CBR600F2/F3, etc. Completely different sounds on my XX and went bad at much lower mileage, but now I know.

Friggin' Honda ought to include a spair in the toolkit with every bike! :icon_wall: