CBR1100XX.org Forum

WD-40

Fonzie

I've been using it the last couple times to clean my rims with. Works great to get all the road grime/grease/brake dust off. Wipes right off like butter.

My only concern is having it that close to the tires & brakes. I spray it directly onto the rag, then wipe........NOT spraying it all over down there, then wiping.

Anyone else clean their rims this way. I've done it a few times, and so far, haven't noticed any slippage with the brakes/tires or anything. Does the lubricant part evaporate??? (Of course now I've just jinxed myself by saying this out loud)

Yeah, I clean my rims with WD40, too. It works very well on road grime, etc. Like

you, I don't spray it on the wheel directly, but rather spray the rag first, then wipe.

I've been using it the last couple times to clean my rims with. Works great to get all the road grime/grease/brake dust off. Wipes right off like butter.

My only concern is having it that close to the tires & brakes. I spray it directly onto the rag, then wipe........NOT spraying it all over down there, then wiping.

Anyone else clean their rims this way. I've done it a few times, and so far, haven't noticed any slippage with the brakes/tires or anything. Does the lubricant part evaporate??? (Of course now I've just jinxed myself by saying this out loud)

Baby wipes work well for this also. Just FYI.

Baby wipes work well for this also. Just FYI.

I'll have to give those a try next time.........Lord knows I got enough of 'em around here now!! :icon_wink:

I've heard of a lot of riders using WD40 to lubricate their chains without any ill effects. Any XX riders doing this?

Tim

:icon_doh: :icon_doh: :icon_doh: :icon_doh:

NO NO NO! WD40 is not a lubricant per se. It is a primarilly a tool for Water Displacement. Thus the "WD". And I guess a surface slicker-upper and cleaner.

[attachmentid=2299]

It will dry out O-rings by washing off any oil/grease you've put on then the rings will gall themselves to little squishy deaths. And what little lubricant is in WD-40, is not good enough for chains. I will stick with Honda's recomendation and stick to 90wt gear oil unless someone out there can suggest a better one! I'm was in the shaft drive world for about 15 years...

post-3344-1154304962_thumb.jpg

I've heard of a lot of riders using WD40 to lubricate their chains without any ill effects. Any XX riders doing this?

Tim

Do Not.....I repeat, Do Not lube with WD40

wipe chain with rag with WD40 on rag only to clean the outside of the links Only !

I use WD to clean the chain first. Bike on center stand in 2nd gear at idle, spray the chain until it drips. Then let it all fling off. A little throttle helps for this.

Then hit it with the chain lube.

Been working for me for 10 years now.

I use WD to clean the chain first. Bike on center stand in 2nd gear at idle, spray the chain until it drips. Then let it all fling off. A little throttle helps for this.

Then hit it with the chain lube.

Been working for me for 10 years now.

Why second gear and not first?

Tim

Wow.......it's nice to see Tim's chain question got more replies in my thread than my rim cleaning question did :icon_rolleyes:

I use it to clean a lot of stuff including my moto wheels as it's a PENATRATING OIL. It will penetrate passed the o-ring chain seals and eventually brake down the lube in your chain inside the oil rings so I keep it away from my chain. I use it on plastics too but get it off there quickly. It's good for removinf tape residue and stickers. If I get it on tires I use electrical contact cleaner to get ti off the tires.

I use on my dirt bikes plastic just before muddy rides (if we ever have one of thoise again here in Oklahoma) to keep mud from sticking to plastic.

Seems that somebody's actually contacted the chainmakers to see what they think about WD40 as a lubricant:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MagnaRider/...es?msg=13150.57

It appears that many people are using it to clean the chain and then using a specific chain lubricant or light weight oil afterwards...

Word from WD40 company about its reaction with rubber:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MagnaRider/...es?msg=13150.85

Tim