CBR1100XX.org Forum

How many miles on your fork springs/valves/fluid?

TechnoGecko

So I rolled the VFR over 44,000 this weekend on our 600 mile trip and she still runs like a trooper besides a few little things I need to look at, and keep putting off. One of them is the front fork springs.

How many miles are you guys going on the springs before you replace them/change the oil? I've put roughly 12,000 miles on the bike this past year with no service to the forks and I dont see anywhere in the service notes that it has been done by the previous owner. The front end feels like it's diving just a tad too much for me to be really comfortable with in the twistes anymore as I noticed while in the Salt River Canyon.

I'd like to get it tackled before the heat dies down as I'll be doing plenty of riding then!

AFAIK mine have never been done. '97 with 34,000 miles. This winters project will be tearing them down, getting the lowers powder coated, cleaning the components, new fork seals, oil, and maybe springs.

Change it every 10 thousand miles. Fork oil breaks down over time and does not give the same dampening effect , more so in the hotter climates.