CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mechanical Whine

sprack

I got the new stator installed sunday and gave it 24hr for the gasket sealant to dry per instructions. Its giving 60.7 VAC, up from 17.3 beforehand. In any case. Now that its together I took it to work and noticed a high pitch whine that linearly follows the speed. Pulling in the clutch makes it go away. Does the stator gear spin independently of the transmission? Suggestions?

Thanks for the letting me know.

Charging voltage on the battery was showing 14.6VDC @ 5000rpm which I thought was within spec. I was measuring the 60.7VAC @ 5000rpm on the white 3-prong connector into the R/R.

Thanks for the letting me know.

Charging voltage on the battery was showing 14.6VDC @ 5000rpm which I thought was within spec. I was measuring the 60.7VAC @ 5000rpm on the white 3-prong connector into the R/R.

OK, that makes sense now. The only voltage that matters is the voltage to the battery, itself. Voltage coming out of the stator will vary upon demand, with the highest voltage readings at the lowest demand.

If you're 14.6V at the battery, then leave well enough alone.

I was going pull the alternator connector and ride it home chargeless to see if the whine still occurs. If you thought it was electrical.

The whine seems dependent on road speed rather than rpm. And pulling in the clutch makes it go away. Transmission or chain related? Any more suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

I was going pull the alternator connector and ride it home chargeless to see if the whine still occurs. If you thought it was electrical.

The whine seems dependent on road speed rather than rpm. And pulling in the clutch makes it go away. Transmission or chain related? Any more suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

Have you checked wheel bearings yet ? Are the tires wearing evenly ? When it's all back together I'd take it for a little spin at around 30-40 mph , pull the clutch in and kill the motor. What do you hear at that point ?

Just put D&D pipe on your bike.Pretty soon you won`t be able to hear much anyway.

My ride makes, not a whine, but, it seems to me, a whirring sound under 3,500 rpm and disappears at 4,000 rpm and above. The bike runs perfectly, just installed new chain and sprockets and tires. Just returned from a 3,500 kms road trip no problems. It's just I've never heard that sound before the last couple of months. 95,000 kms/'02. It's on the left side of the bike, low down. I slightly feel it through the throttle but it's a definite "whirring" sound. New stator two years ago and just had the charging systm checked, no problems. She ride great it's just that "new" sound. Is it just a fact of an engine with 95,000 kms and live with it? I've never touched the R&R. Like everyone on this board I want my Bird to sound like new regardless of the milage. Am I being "anal"? mmmm? These bike bring out the PRIDE in ride like no other machine I've owned. Thanks

My ride makes, not a whine, but, it seems to me, a whirring sound under 3,500 rpm and disappears at 4,000 rpm and above. The bike runs perfectly, just installed new chain and sprockets and tires. Just returned from a 3,500 kms road trip no problems. It's just I've never heard that sound before the last couple of months. 95,000 kms/'02. It's on the left side of the bike, low down. I slightly feel it through the throttle but it's a definite "whirring" sound. New stator two years ago and just had the charging systm checked, no problems. She ride great it's just that "new" sound. Is it just a fact of an engine with 95,000 kms and live with it? I've never touched the R&R. Like everyone on this board I want my Bird to sound like new regardless of the milage. Am I being "anal"? mmmm? These bike bring out the PRIDE in ride like no other machine I've owned. Thanks

Any chance that this sound started after you changed your front sprocket to a undampened one?

I seemed to have got this sound shortly after I changed my front sproket.

Any chance that this sound started after you changed your front sprocket to a undampened one?

I seemed to have got this sound shortly after I changed my front sproket.

I don't understand "undampened one".

Honda's factory sprocket is dampened... it has rubber on it for damping...

Never seen any other make/model with this so if your sprocket is aftermarket... it's undampened...

Never seen any other make/model with this so if your sprocket is aftermarket... it's undampened...

I think a VFR front sprocket might have the damping as well, could also be a 16T, I'm too lazy to check over at Ron Ayers.

I've had my XX for about 4 weeks now and I noticed that "whine" as I was drving it home. It almost sounds like a slow turbo winding up at low-ish RPM and heavy-ish throttle. I guessed it was electro-mechanical Honda magic. My '01 has 5400 miles on it and the guy I bought it from was meticulous about maintenance and cleanliness. I assumed this was a normal sound as the bike is a cherry. Is there some sort of additional air valve post-airflow sensor that is letting extra air in at/around WOT and creating the whistle-whirr-hum? (I dont have my shop manual yet...)

I think a VFR front sprocket might have the damping as well, could also be a 16T, I'm too lazy to check over at Ron Ayers.

From what I've read here the 16T VFR fits and is dampened.