CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sanding down sand-cast aluminum rims

joe

I'm going to polish my rims (the whole rim) and I was wondering if anyone had any experience sanding down the inner portion of the rim? I believe the term for this rough surface is "sand-casted."

From what I hear, this is a real pain. But, can it be done?

Joe

Yes it can be done! If you have a DA and a lot of sandpaper go for it, but you are looking at 25-30 a rim easy.

Start with the aircraft paint remover in a spray can, auto zone or walmart will ahve it. after you get 80% of the paint of you need to start with 220 on a DA, by hand will not happen, your DA if you have one will have to settings Vib or Rotate, use the rotate to get the cast out first then move it to Vibrate.

You will need to use the 220 till all of the cast is gone then go to 300 till the 220 sand marks are gone, then move to the 400 till the 300 sand marks are gone, Move your way up slow in grit sandpaper the out come will be most rewarding, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 Then with the finnese-it and mothers Polish you can finish off the job!

And remember" you can not put aluminum back on the rim so take your time and Marry X-Mas, Just kidding! :lol:

If you need to see what they could look like done right, let me know I will show you my frame and swingarm, I only did the outer rim on mine!

I should've e-mailed you directly. But, since I started this thread...

Do you know anyone that has pics of a rim that's been polished entirely? And, what's a DA? Can I use one of those mouse sanders they sell in Sears? It has a lot of attachments so I can get into the nooks and crannies.

Joe