CBR1100XX.org Forum

help- I've got "flat" forks

spoot

Sorry if there is another thread about this, but my internet has/is down and posting from a friends place.

On a ride saturday, I started to feel a "twitchy" front end. Also, when I hit the brakes (stock forks) it no longer dived like stockers normally do. I hit some little bumps and it felt like I was driving over bricks.

I don't see any fork oil leaking...? Dust covers are dry. It feels like I'm driving on a flat tire, but the tire pressure is fine. Forks move, but doesn't seem to be as much. Just nothing left.

With my internet down, I've got some scambling to do to get this going by WiXX.

I'll check here when I can, any input is of course appreciated.

Someone suggested that I may have popped/broke a vavle...or something else internal?

spoot

Sorry if there is another thread about this, but my internet has/is down and posting from a friends place.

On a ride saturday, I started to feel a "twitchy" front end. Also, when I hit the brakes (stock forks) it no longer dived like stockers normally do. I hit some little bumps and it felt like I was driving over bricks.

I don't see any fork oil leaking...? Dust covers are dry. It feels like I'm driving on a flat tire, but the tire pressure is fine. Forks move, but doesn't seem to be as much. Just nothing left.

With my internet down, I've got some scambling to do to get this going by WiXX.

I'll check here when I can, any input is of course appreciated.

Someone suggested that I may have popped/broke a vavle...or something else internal?

spoot

Have you done your fork oil at all??

It's possible that you just need to drain/flush them. Any way you look at it, we won't know until they're apart.

I'll PM you my home/number, you can come over to my place and we'll do them, if you like.

So they are overly hard all of a sudden? Obviously that doesn't sound like a normal fork failure but I guess you could have a plugged valve orifice.

I would think that there might be somthng that is wedged in the fork spring? Do any ugly wheelies lately?

Anyone else have a clue?

Spoot came over and we pulled them apart today. The right fork felt like it had considerably less dampening than the left. No bent parts, gave them a good cleaning, re-assembled/filled and put in the Jaws Preload Adjusters while we were at it. Felt back to normal afterwards, so the guess is that it was a combo of the old oil and maybe something clogged/etc.

I hope you gave the bushing a good look too. once you wear through that teflon they get pretty sticky.

Glad you got it right.

A good reminder to change fork oil reularly. (for me that means every other year)

I gotta give a big THANKS" :icon_clap: to Hobicus for helping out !!! I was really freaked that I would need a complete rebuild or something...I was guessing $100's.

They feel 'Good as New' again.

I would like to put in a little reminder, too.

When putting the forks back in, remember to set the height of each fork equally above the upper tripple. if you are off...say....1-2mm on one of them, the ride home will be a little wierd. it will feel like the bike is tracking to one side...ever so slightly - a gentle pull/lean to one side. :icon_duh:

A simple 'oversight' can cause this, but it is easily corrected.

I now need to add a name to the "What's Spoot gonna get you for Christmas" list.