CBR1100XX.org Forum

what is the problem here

thrash7781

my xx suddenly started clunking when i let the clutch out. the chain is still in adjustment. i happens in about every gear. any ideas anyone?????THANKS "Thrash" :icon_think:

Guest rockmeupto125

It would depend on the volume, and character of the clunk.

Front sprocket loose?

Rear sprocket loose?

Rear wheel cush turned into powder?

Transmission getting ready to make like an amoeba and divide?

It would depend on the volume, and character of the clunk.

Front sprocket loose?

Rear sprocket loose?

Rear wheel cush turned into powder?

Transmission getting ready to make like an amoeba and divide?

after reading some post's, maybe i need an oil change, could that be a factor?mobil 1 15-50 or what?

NOT A OIL THREAD :icon_biggrin:

Does the clunk stay constant with rpm?

Does it stay constant with the gear you are in.

Put it on the center stand and watch the chain.

A stiff link made mine clunk. The clunk was constant to the speed I was going, not the gear.

Watching the chain, I could see it jump when the bad link jumped across the front sproket.

It was quiet on the stand, but there under load.

it's when i let the clutch out, it doesn't really matter what gear it's going into it still does it. sometimes i let the clutch out just right and it doesn't do it. i almost have to try to let it out just right before it wont do it???

it's when i let the clutch out, it doesn't really matter what gear it's going into it still does it. sometimes i let the clutch out just right and it doesn't do it. i almost have to try to let it out just right before it wont do it???

also, it only clunks when i let the clutch out. it doesn't do it riding down the road.it is not a constant clunck, only when gears are changed. thanks, thrash

Guest rockmeupto125

Are you saying it clunks when you are letting the clutch out in any gear when its on the centerstand, but not when you are riding it?

Or that the clunk is limited to when you let the clutch out, wether you are riding, or sitting. Does it do it in neutral as well?

If it kind of feels like you have too much slack in your chain, but you know its properly adjusted then it is probably your "Harmonic Balancer Backlash adjustment". Look it up in the service manual. You have to do some disassembly to do it, but nothing major. You can also put your bike on the center stand, put it in gear, grab your chain and try to move it back and forth. If the front sprocket rotates back and forth you may need to do this adjustment.

Dave

i put the bike on the centerstand and put it in 1st gear, i rotated the rear tire and my tire rotated about two inches. i heard the clunk on both forward and reverse rotation.??????

i put the bike on the centerstand and put it in 1st gear, i rotated the rear tire and my tire rotated about two inches. i heard the clunk on both forward and reverse rotation.??????

Well, now you're almost describing the results of having rear wheel cush drive dampers that are badly worn. Toward that end - when was the last time you replace them? :icon_think:

thrash - can't you determine *specifically* where the clunk is originating from? Transmission area? Rear Wheel? Clutch assembly? Nailing down the precise origin of the clunk sound will obviously let us help troubleshoot this issue better....

i'm sorry you guys, it is coming from the tranny/front spocket area. thanks for all imput. thrash :icon_wall:

How about the keyway on the out put shaft? If nothing else, pull your clutch cover (drain oil first) then try rotating the clutch basket by hand(with bike in gear) there shouldn't be any play between the basket and output shaft. If there is....you may have a problem with your key and /or keyway. Just helped a bro with a yamaha 600 that had the same symptoms as yours....just my 2 cents (CAD) worth.

• 2 weeks later...

my xx suddenly started clunking when i let the clutch out. the chain is still in adjustment. i happens in about every gear. any ideas anyone?????THANKS "Thrash" :icon_think:

Mine does the same thing so last night I adjusted the front and rear balancers, still had the clunk you discribed if you find out what it is let me know and I will do the same. :icon_wall:

I checked mine last night for the play you describe. Center stand, 1st gear. There is about 4 degrees of free motion before the driveline is tight.

I haven't had a XX clutch apart, but I assumed it was a standard basket type.

Wouldn't the play come from the gap between the grooved areas in the basket, and the notched clutch plates that slide into those grooves? Just a little play there would give a pretty good arc of movement on the front sprocket, which would give 2 inches or more of rear tire movement.

Just a thought. I only have 25k on the bike. Don't shift it too hard. NO cluncks except that initial one shifting into first.

If it kind of feels like you have too much slack in your chain, but you know its properly adjusted then it is probably your "Harmonic Balancer Backlash adjustment". Look it up in the service manual. You have to do some disassembly to do it, but nothing major. You can also put your bike on the center stand, put it in gear, grab your chain and try to move it back and forth. If the front sprocket rotates back and forth you may need to do this adjustment.

Dave

Is there really such a thing as the, "Harmonic Balancer Backlash adjustment (er)?" If the clutch was wearing out, 95,000 kms, what sounds would one hear?