CBR1100XX.org Forum

Frames

KnucklezX

I was talking to a tech friend I know and he told me that there was a XX in for service. He noticed that the XX frame looked different than mine. Specific, the fairing post near your knee on the frame. He said that on my 97BB the posts are welded to the frame but on the bb that was in for service, the post was welded to a bracket and the bracket was bolted to the frame.

Has anyone seen this? Is is a stock OEM part? Just very curious....

Yes, that standard on later models. I believe the change was made in '01.

Okay cool. I asked my tech friend if he was able to find the part numbers but he isn't having any luck.

Does anyone know the part numbers? Any help would be appreciated. I'm tired of riding aroung on a naked bike. It's time to put some clothes on her.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

The illistration is crap but it looks like it's #33

They call it a STAY, COWL (LOWER)

Here is a link to the page at Ron Ayers.

Linky

Part # 64531-MAT-D50

$4.74

Sorry for the delay in response. Been in the hospital, not bike related. Well we have the parts, took awhile. My brother is the parts manager at the local dealer. He doesn't put my orders in until he gets his other customers done.

My main concern is whether to have them drill my frame? Will this compromise my frame in any way? was there a recall to have this done by the dealer? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get the BB back to its formerself. If I have to I will convert it to a streetfighter, I'd just prefer not driving around on a naked bike, thats what the old lady is for...

I was hit last july and went down on the left side. The bike slid 50 yards sown the highway ant about 70mph. I rolled in trafic and thankfully didn't get hit or run over. The left fairing and the post wher ground down. The post bent a little and ground at an angle. If I decide to fix the exisiting post I will have to grind it flush and in doing so grind anbother 1/4 inch off. figure out a way to retap and find a way to use washer to get it back as close to original length as possible.

My main curiosity is if Honda had a recall to replace this on older BB's?

Secondly if the drilling of holes will compromise the frame?

personally, I'd gring the post close to flat to the frame, and weld a piece of solid aluminum on there (the same solid 1" round stock) and drill and tap that new piece... Worse case, I'd drill a hole through the frame (both thicknesses on the one side of the bike) and weld in a bushing between the 2 sides of the frame, and put the later model bolt through there... then you won't be losing strength... Either way, you're going to have to take it to someone who welds aluminum...

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I do have a friend that will be able to do the welding. I'll leave it alone for a couple of months until I prep her for storage. Then take her to my buddies shop. I'll try to post pic off it so all can see my little problem.

Frank