CBR1100XX.org Forum

TPS failure

shovelstrokeed

Was up in Titusville the last couple of days doing some calibration work for one of the NASA contractors.

Bike running great all the way up. Parked it for 2.5 days under the portico of the hotel. Went to start it this morning and no-go. Reluctantly, it started but was running like crap, wouldn't idle. Way rich and missing at steady throttle. Funny thing was it ran OK under heavy throttle, just rich.

Got it down to a dealer as I was scheduled in there for a chain and sprocket change. Still running bad.

We had some torrential rain over the last couple of days, like 2-4"/hr. Plus I had been riding in quite a bit of heavy rain on my trip to NJ last week.

I figured I'm only 150 miles or so from home and I'd probably make it just eat a bunch of gas. Riding along down 95 after the chain fix and all of a sudden the bike cleans up and starts running fine but the FI light comes on. This about 30 miles down the road after I left the dealer.

It burned about 2.5 gallons of gas going that 30 miles, btw. I decided to take a break at a rest area and the thing was reluctant to start again, requiring a lot of messing with the throttle and nearly 3/4 throttle before it would fire up. Ran fine albeit fuel consumption was down.

Pulled up in front of the apartment and put the side stand down, FI light starts flashing. 8 flashes, then a pause, then 8 flashes again. A look in the manual shows 8 flashes are a TP sensor fault. Gonna get out the DVM and go checking things out. I'm hoping water just got in there and shorted the thing. Should know something in an hour or so. Betcha it's gonna be expensive. Chain, DID Xring, and a front sprocket set me back $325, installed. Dealer didn't have a rear sprocket so I'll pick one up at Ron Ayers on Monday. I'm riding up to Greensboro NC Monday morning and should have time to get one on the way. TPS sensor too, if I need one.

BTW, Champions, in Cocoa has a good technician, unlike the idiots in Ocala who took 7 hours to change 2 tires, oil and filter and an air cleaner.

No need to short pins. Just pull off the Neg battery terminal. Wait a few mins and reconnect. While it's off it wouldn't hurt to clean the terminals if they need it.

You should also be able to trace the neg to the frame wouldn't hurt to clean that connection too.

No need to short pins. Just pull off the Neg battery terminal. Wait a few mins and reconnect. While it's off it wouldn't hurt to clean the terminals if they need it.

You should also be able to trace the neg to the frame wouldn't hurt to clean that connection too.

Gotcha, and thanks a bunch. I'm headed down to try that now. Be back in 1/2 hour.

You might also want to check your connections to the computer and wiring loom if you don't mind pulling some things apart. It's alot cheeper than replacing parts.

Do a search for wiring loom and you should find some posts about it. Sometimes the connectors will get dirty and need to be cleaned.

Well, the reset thing didn't work. As soon as I throw a load of clothing in the dryer, I'll go back down and run the voltage and continuity checks. I pulled the ECU connectors and took a peek in there and didn't see any corrosion but, that doesn't mean I don't have an open wire someplace.

More to come.

Got it!!! When the clown up in Cocoa did his thing to replace my air cleaner, he pinched the wire coming off the harness. Green=signal or ground, I don't remember which. Anyway, the wire actually has a chunk out of it. Time to dig out the soldering iron and a little shirnk wrap.

Thanks again for all your help.

Got it!!! When the clown up in Cocoa did his thing to replace my air cleaner, he pinched the wire coming off the harness. Green=signal or ground, I don't remember which. Anyway, the wire actually has a chunk out of it. Time to dig out the soldering iron and a little shirnk wrap.

Ed,

You want me to go punch that clown in his nose for you ? It can be arranged.

Guest rockmeupto125

That's GREAT.........that you found it.

Give them a piece of your mind.

When you pay dealer prices for service, you are paying premium prices for premium service......which you sure as hell didn't get. Don't get me started.

I'm gonna be on the phone to them Monday morning. Trust me, I know how to chew ass. The only thing the guy managed to get right was the oil change.

There is no excuse for this. Worse yet, the wire cut off flush with the top of the connector and I have to bugger the connector to get to enough of the pin to solder a new lead on.

Hey Furious, can I borrow your sig for the weekend? :icon_biggrin:

Ed,

You want me to go punch that clown in his nose for you ? It can be arranged.

Just give the word Ed, and I'll be over at his place in half an hour. I'll bring my LEO friend with me,and scare the shit out of him.

-Steve

I know, I know. I can do all of this stuff. Used to do it for a living about 30 years ago. I still make my living as a field service engineer, calibrating and repairing scientific instruments. I even have a full shop set up in a storage warehouse near me.

Problem is, I have zero time to work on my bikes. Home on Friday or Saturday, out on the road again on Monday morning or sometimes Sunday night. I use the bike quite a bit on business travel and that pretty much puts me at the mercy of local dealers.

I was due for an oil change, figured, what the hell, bring it to the dealer and be done. Riding during the soggy portions of FUXXT convinced me that the squared of D208 wasn't going to make it for my upcoming 3400 mile round trip to NJ and back. Hell, I'm already at the dealer, right. Go ahead and throw a pair of Pilot Roads on there. My fuel consumption had been a bit high as well so I had them put in a new air cleaner. I knew I was in trouble when it took the guy 2 hours to put the rear wheel back on after the tire change, kept locking up as soon as he would tighten the axle. I still don't know what he had fucked up but it rolls fine now. Then, to make matters worse, he mounted the front tire backwards, resulting in the front wheel not mounting right in the forks. That took another 2 hours.

Aw, fuck it, you guys don't need to hear all this.

Thanks again for all the help and support. The bike is fixed and now starts and runs like it should.

BTW, the fucked up dealer is Ocala Motorsports on highway 441 in Ocala. Be afraid, be very afraid. :icon_twisted:

That's GREAT.........that you found it.

Give them a piece of your mind.

When you pay dealer prices for service, you are paying premium prices for premium service......which you sure as hell didn't get. Don't get me started.

you would think since honda makes the most dependable motorcycles, snowblowers, etc their service departments would be above reproach. after my trip off az 191 i took my bird to davis honda in montrose. i told them" i didn't care about the cosmetics just make sure it was mechanically sound" they replaced all the plastics but didn't catch the obviously bent forks. after involute showing me how to replace a rear wheel at tbme :icon_think: i think im going to start doing more of my own maintanence!!!!