CBR1100XX.org Forum

Get High

Asemaster

Hi All

Some day i hope to get a XX but for know my little 1983 VF750F runs DAM good. My qustion to you does the F.I. XX adjust for elevation? I live near Sequoia National Park in Ca. and my little 3/4L just does not have it in the hills with my fat ass on her. How dos XX do with a 260 lbs. butt?

Here is a photo of us at the Park. 7/4/2006

post-3138-1152214822_thumb.jpg

Hi All

Some day i hope to get a XX but for know my little 1983 VF750F runs DAM good. My qustion to you dos the F.I. XX adjust for elevation? I live nerer Sequoia National Park in Ca. and my little 3/4L just dos not have it in the hills with my fat ass on her. How dos XX do with a 260 lbs. butt?

Here is a photo of us at the Park. 7/4/2006

I have a carb'd one, but supposedly, the FI ones do adjust, because they use a MAP sensor, so they know the air pressure...

Mike

Yes, the EFI adjusts for altitude. It will keep the mixture at the proper level, however, that does not mean it will make up the HP loss due to the altitude, it just won't be any worse cause the carbs went all rich on you.

Crazy Cool bike Dave, I have friends with CBX's and i love them!!!!

A TURBO CBX?!?!?!!

Damn, boy.

[/hijack]

260lbs.? Fricken lightweight. :icon_biggrin: It should really rock with a little guy onboard.

+1 I am 130kg ( 286lb ) and the missus is 80 kg ( 176lb ) and two up she still goes great, 98 carbed

I live at about 180 ft. above sea-level, and was wondering about the same thing until I went to Colorado last week. Crossed three passes at 12,000 ft., and did a lot of riding at 10,000. The bike ran perfectly, and by looking at the exhaust, it looked like it was running more lean than at home. Almost like it slightly overcompensated for the altitude. Power was definitley down at 12,000 ft., (no first gear power wheelies)!

Can confirm as others have observed... the FI XX handles altitude just fine. I can't tell a diff between 5,000 and 12,000 feet... though I've never had the bird down near sea level. Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing anything.

Can confirm as others have observed... the FI XX handles altitude just fine. I can't tell a diff between 5,000 and 12,000 feet... though I've never had the bird down near sea level. Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing anything.

About 5% more HP. :icon_razz:

Did a 600 mile loop on sunday. Rode between 1400 and 8900 feet above sea level on my carb's 98. Bike was jetted at sea level. Felt the roll-ons get a little weak above 8000ft.

I have the same problem with my Interceptpor, at above 6000ft. im crusing at about 4000 or 5000 rpm and try to pass a car, grab some throttle and nothing.

Is a rule of the thumb you loose 3% per 1000 ft of elevation,so at 11000 ft say goodby to 1/3 of you horsies.

Curb bikes loose even more,mixture goes rich.

Turbos can compensate if compressor is big enough and boost control adjust to absolute pressure,not gain.

My,otherwise POS Saab turbo,wasted some what looked like mid 80`s 911 on long 11000 ft+ climb in Colorado.

Talking about hurt Teutonic pride spanked by some 4 door FWD family car. :icon_twisted:

If I lived in mtn state turbo car would be the only option.

For anyone who lives at 5,000 ft. or higher, you really need to plan a trip to some sea-level location, especially when the air is cool there. You'll notice it the most when running in top gear at about 80, and nail the throttle. The bike leaps instantly to 100, 120, and even 140 comes pretty darn quick! It really feels like a different bike.

I live in Denver now and try to get up into the mountains whenever possible. I have a 2000 xx. I used to live in Chicago ( about 680ft above sea level) and had a 98' xx there. It is a very noticeable difference in power from there to just Denver.

I had an 84 vf700 before the Bird. There is absolutely no comparison, none! As soon as you can try an injected Bird. You don't have to go to altitude, one trip through first and second will sell you. Good luck!