CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to clean the inside of your headlight

YO

An easy way to clean the inside of your headlight of stains and spots without demounting the unit...

TOOLS:

Long soft cloth.

Long wooden flexible cocktail (BBQ) stick.

IPB Image

Wrap the stick in the cloth leaving a free piece of the cloth at the top.

IPB Image

Remove the access panel underneath the top-fairing and then draw out the bulb-holder and stick the self-made cleaning tool into the headlight.

IPB Image

Push up the tool and beware of holding the cloth AND the stick tight between your fingers.

IPB Image

Wipe like a windscreenwiper and remove the spots and stains. When all is clean, carefully draw out the tool and mount the bulbholder and access panel.

IPB Image

I looked at my 01 after seeing this. I have a blank plate below the nose, and it appears another inside the lamp assembly. I could come in through the rear, where the lamps are.

Yeah I don't think the US model has such a plug underneath the headlight.

A few weeks ago I switched lenses with a headlight I bought online for cheap. If you put the whole headlight assembly in the oven (set it on top of a cloth cooking pad of some sort that doesn't conduct heat well) at 170 degrees F for about 20 minutes and when you take it out the sealant glue is soft enough to where you can almost pull it right apart. Do what you need to do and put the lens and backing in the oven again until it heats up and you can pop them right back together without requiring extra sealant.