CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to bleed your break-system

YO

He Birdies,

Last week I did my breaks bleeding the whole system. Here's my Photo-report.

BLEEDING THE BRAKE-SYSTEM

TOOLS

IPB Image

Set of Allen keys

Open-end and ring spanners 8 + 10

Phillips head screwdriver

Bottle with clear plastic tube that fits well on the bleed-valves

Brake-fluid DOT 4

Cloth.(use this to protect the work-space from the agressive brake-fluid.)

FRONT BRAKE

Undo the retaining screws and remove the right master cylinder reservoir cover, diaphragm plate and diaphragm and slowly pump the brake lever a few times, until no air bubbles can be seen floating up..

IPB Image

Starting on the LEFT side calliper, pull the dust cap off the UPPER bleed valve. Attach one end of the clear plastic tube to the bleed valve and submerge the other end in the bottle. Carefully pump the brake lever three or four times and hold it while opening the calliper bleed valve. When the valve is opened, brake fluid will flow out of the calliper into the clear tube and the lever will move toward the handlebar. Retighten the bleed valve, then release the brake lever gradually. Repeat the process until no air bubbles are visible in the break fluid leaving the valve. Tighten the bleed valve with the specified torque and install the dust cap.

Find an assistent to pump the lever and the brake pedal

Repeat the procedure on the RIGHT side front calliper.Check the fluid-level and do not allow the fluid level to drop below the lower mark during the bleeding process. Then refit the reservoir cover with its diaphragm and diaphragm-plate

This is a picture of the right side caliper but you have to start with the LEFT

IPB Image

REAR BRAKE

Remove the seat cowling to gain access to the rear brake master cylinder fluid reservoir.

Unscrew the bolts (arrows) on each side, remove the grab-rail and release both pegs from the grommet (second arrow on the right) and carefully remove the cowling.

IPB Image

Unscrew the fluid reservoir cover and lift out the diaphragm plate and diaphragm.

IPB Image

Start with the RIGHT side front caliper CENTRE bleed valve, remove the dust cap and attach the tube.Carefully pump the brake pedal a few times and hold it down while opening the centre bleed valve. When the valve is opened, brake fluid will flow out into the clear tube and the pedal will move fully downwards. Retighten the bleed valve, then release the brake pedal gradually. Repeat the process until no air bubbles are visible in the break fluid leaving the valve.

Repeat this process for the LEFT side front caliper.

IPB Image

Repeat the process for the rear caliper CENTRE bleed valve.

IPB Image

Repeat the process for the rear caliper UPPER bleed valve. Check your fluid all times and be sure the fluid level never exceeds beneath the lower mark of your brake fluid cylinder.

IPB Image

Then move to the front LEFT calliper, push the secondary master cylinder (arrow “valve”) and calliper upwards and bleed again the rear UPPER bleed valve. (so no break pedal, only pressure gaining by moving upwards the left calliper) Fill the rear fluid reservoir and tighten the cover with its diaphragm-plate.

IPB Image

Mount the cowling.

By pumping the pedal and lever beware of squirting brake fluid, so pump carefully

IPB Image

Greetz,

Yo.

Then move to the front LEFT calliper, push the secondary master cylinder (arrow “valve”) and calliper upwards and bleed again the rear UPPER bleed valve. (so no break pedal, only pressure gaining by moving upwards the left calliper) Fill the rear fluid reservoir and tighten the cover with its diaphragm-plate.

i don't really understand this part. when you say push upward, how much does it move because isn't the caliper still bolted to fork? i did not do this part, i don't remember seeing it in the manual? please explain. thanks.

i don't really understand this part. when you say push upward, how much does it move because isn't the caliper still bolted to fork? i did not do this part, i don't remember seeing it in the manual? please explain. thanks.

Yes, the caliper is bolted but if you move upwards the caliper AND the valve (see arrow) you will notice it will slightly move upwards (not the caliper but the valve) resulting into pressure. It is slightly (a few mm) but it moves upwards. The caliper is a kind of lever. (don;t know if this is the right word..lever)Then bleed the top valve on the rear (not the centre) And true, most manuals don't speak of this and it is often forgotten during maintenance. Hope this is of some use to you. :icon_razz:

Very nice write up but I think you forgot to mention that you need a second person to work the rear brake pedal when you bleed the left front caliper center bleed valve as well as when you bleed the front left m/cylinder from the rear caliper.

Very nice write up but I think you forgot to mention that you need a second person to work the rear brake pedal when you bleed the left front caliper center bleed valve as well as when you bleed the front left m/cylinder from the rear caliper.

I know, I assumed that this was logical but I added the info. Thx