CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trying really hard to understand this

arcticflipper

From the previous posts about suspension, 6mm shock spacers, heavier spriengs etc, I've decided to test a couple of more things on my XX.

I got hold of a second set of forks, just for testing and replaced the Wilbers rear shock with an OEM shock that I had.

The new shock is completely OEM, springs and 10 weight fork oil.

I did a 5mm spacer on the rear shock, and tested it on a very short track here in South Africa.

(SwartKops)

This is what I found the Bike did -

It is definitely more flickable, turns quicker and more aggresively.

The tail sit a lot higher than normal.

More weight is on the front.

But

When I started puching the bike hard through the corners I had to fight the bike to keep it in the turn. The bike would stand up the harder I pushed it.

Could this be because I'm still using OEM forks with 10 weight oil?

Would this change if I went down to 7.5 or even 5 weight fork oil?

Please remember that I'm only weighing in at around 150 pounds, and only stands about 5'12" tall.

I then changed the 5mm spacer for a 2.5mm spacer and did the same test.

Found that the bike held the line a lot better.

With both the spacers in, I can not spin the rear wheel when the XX is on it's centre stand. Is this normal?

I have also noticed that when I run the bike hard, keep it above 7k rpm, while exiting a couple of turns the nose becomes very light. This is normally not a problem, but on shorter tracks this isn't always ideal as the next turn is up very quickly after the exit.

Lastly, with both spacers in I did also notice that on one hairpin I always now lock the rear wheel up. This might also be because I still have the linked brake system, or maybe just because the weight has moved forward a bit?

I'm just realy interrested and would really like to be able to make the XX a bit more track competative than what it is currently.

When I started puching the bike hard through the corners I had to fight the bike to keep it in the turn. The bike would stand up the harder I pushed it.

Please remember that I'm only weighing in at around 150 pounds, and only stands about 5'12" tall.

I then changed the 5mm spacer for a 2.5mm spacer and did the same test.

Found that the bike held the line a lot better.

With both the spacers in, I can not spin the rear wheel when the XX is on it's centre stand. Is this normal?

I have also noticed that when I run the bike hard, keep it above 7k rpm, while exiting a couple of turns the nose becomes very light. This is normally not a problem, but on shorter tracks this isn't always ideal as the next turn is up very quickly after the exit.

Lastly, with both spacers in I did also notice that on one hairpin I always now lock the rear wheel up. This might also be because I still have the linked brake system, or maybe just because the weight has moved forward a bit?

I'm just realy interrested and would really like to be able to make the XX a bit more track competative than what it is currently.

5'12" = 6' !!!

The spacer thing doesn't surprise me. Mine is stock and has about 1" clearance when on the centre stand.

7k light front? As it should be. THe higher, the lighter... :icon_twisted:

Rear lock is due to both. linked and front byas. It's happened to me on occasion on the street.... I'm thinking about putting some Galfer black pads in the back and gold race in the front. Less likely to lock up the rear..

Just my two cents.... The blackbird is a CBR but an XX at it. It'll never be an RR. No matter how hard you try. Heavy an "pigish" handling on the race track. Grand Touring machine. Going for a blast on any given track day? Fine! Worried about lap times? Forget about it....