CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to disassemble the headlight

FloridaSilverBird

Im trying to disassemble my headlight to replace it with a new lens but the puddy/glue they use to stick it together seems to be getting in the way. I've tried to kind of pry it open with a screwdriver but have stopped as im afraid of cracking the case or something.

just looking for some advice...

Im trying to disassemble my headlight to replace it with a new lens but the puddy/glue they use to stick it together seems to be getting in the way. I've tried to kind of pry it open with a screwdriver but have stopped as im afraid of cracking the case or something.

If you have a source for a replacement glass lens please share... I need a new headlamp too (costs nearly US$900 here in South Africa) and I'm choking on the fixit prices.

A new lens would make things lots easier/cheaper.

Have you tried putting it in the oven and warming it up first?

Some of the Subaru crew that I know like to 'clear' their headlight by removing the yellow reflectors inside to give it a more monochromatic look. They do this by heating them up to about 160-180 degrees, if I remember correctly, them procede to seperate the halves. That glue 'goop' is a pain in the ass, but it keeps the moisture out.

I'll ask around and see what temperature they used to be sure.

Good Luck.

Technically I didn't 'just' get the headlight lens clear portion. Someone listed a headlight assembly on ebay that was torn up in the back with 3 tabs broken off but the actual lens was still in great condition. Since my lens wasn't in quite as good condition I was able to grab it for just $30 :icon_dance:

Thanks for the tip on adding a little heat, it sounds like it should work, and I have access to some nifty temp controlled ovens in my university labs. I don't think they'd mind if I threw it in there for an hour or two.

brianmacza,

I've seen a lot of your posts around where you've referred to ridiculously high prices for new parts. Are you able to receive this sort of thing in the mail? I would guess shipping to be high but not so high as to make shipping items in useless. Or will people just not ship you anything because Africa isn't thought to be the most reliable place for consumers? If you need any assistance getting parts let me know if you see anything and I'd be happy to mail it to you personally if you'll pay the costs. I'm sure we could get a headlight for well under $900 :icon_angel:

-Chris

brianmacza,

I've seen a lot of your posts around where you've referred to ridiculously high prices for new parts. Are you able to receive this sort of thing in the mail? I would guess shipping to be high but not so high as to make shipping items in useless. Or will people just not ship you anything because Africa isn't thought to be the most reliable place for consumers? If you need any assistance getting parts let me know if you see anything and I'd be happy to mail it to you personally if you'll pay the costs. I'm sure we could get a headlight for well under $900 :icon_angel:

-Chris

I managed to get a 2nd hand headlamp for US$300 from a breaker... the fairing bracket they offered me looked like a pretzel (US$90) - I applied judicious force with the assistance of a rubber mallet to my bent one and got it pretty much straight. Will only be able to tell when I get the fairing upper on it tho.

Tx for the offer, tho... muchas appreciated.

brianmacza,

-Chris

I managed to get a 2nd hand headlamp for US$300 from a breaker... the fairing bracket they offered me looked like a pretzel (US$90) - I applied judicious force with the assistance of a rubber mallet to my bent one and got it pretty much straight. Will only be able to tell when I get the fairing upper on it tho.

Did you know theres actually a few black uppers on ebay right now? They will probably settle for around $250 give or take. Someone also posted one at a buy it now for $150 but I got that one :icon_biggrin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-Upper-F...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR-1100-XX...1QQcmdZViewItem

Did you know theres actually a few black uppers on ebay right now? They will probably settle for around $250 give or take. Someone also posted one at a buy it now for $150 but I got that one :icon_biggrin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-Upper-F...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR-1100-XX...1QQcmdZViewItem

Shipping to the dark continent is seriously expensive. I'm gonna get the upper and left panel plastic welded and resprayed, along with the mirror shells and front fender.

Mate, The shipping to SA is expensive but not that bad,

to ship a 20 lb parcel by air mail, delivery 4 -10 days is $91.15

40 lb $164.95

by surface post 4-6 weeks 40lb $74.85

20 lb $48.50.

US POST rates.

FYI.

Mate, The shipping to SA is expensive but not that bad,

to ship a 20 lb parcel by air mail, delivery 4 -10 days is $91.15

40 lb $164.95

by surface post 4-6 weeks 40lb $74.85

20 lb $48.50.

US POST rates.

FYI.

Just remember that my exchange rate is US$1X6.55

In my mickey-mouse currency that is quite a lot

i forgot about the rand...........just trying to help......................

could go for a couple of pies, maybe a steak and kidney, and a russian. send us a couple would ya

Technically I didn't 'just' get the headlight lens clear portion. Someone listed a headlight assembly on ebay that was torn up in the back with 3 tabs broken off but the actual lens was still in great condition. Since my lens wasn't in quite as good condition I was able to grab it for just $30 :icon_dance:

-Chris

Hmmm. Did it come from someone in New York. I donated a headlight to Joe up there. Can't remember how damaged the lens was, but three tabs were broken off the back. That'd be cool as hell if my headlight was reincarnated into a new life...

Brian if you are interested, I have a fairing bracket that it was on the bird when I bought it (lightly crashed). It is a bit bent, but you can't tell whith the eye. The only indication was that in one part the paint was cracked and the fairing panels were not sitting perfect. If you need it I am giving it to you free if you take care of the shipping costs.

The new one (in Greece) cost me about 120€. Maybe shipping from here is cheaper thatn US (although parts are far cheaper there).