CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI Light Redux

TimothyPilgrim

I experienced the same glowing FI light problem that others faced in another discussion thread. The problem was deemed to be the PCII unit and that unplugging the PCII solved the problem.

Well I was on a ride this past Sunday way far away from home with the wife on her B12. When my FI light came on on a hill, I flicked my highbeam switch as I'd done in the past to get it to go off. When I did, the power cut immediately. When I turned off the highbeams, I regained power just as fast with a nice bang with flame out the pipe. I tried it again and same thing. As I signalled to get to the side of the road, the same thing with each signal flash. Power loss, regain power. I pulled out the PCII hoping to see a difference.

All was fine until way down the road when I flashed my brake light to warn of an impending quick stop. Then my light came on again. It stayed on for the rest of the leg until I let the bike cool down at a chip wagon. When I left for home, the light stayed off for quite a while but then came on again with a steady glow. I had no more power issues on the way home, and I dare say the bike felt stronger with the PCII removed, but that could've been the cooler air in the later day.

The PO installed an aftermarket alarm and a Hornet electronic deer whistle. I'm wondering if the heat of the engine plus this wiring might not be causing a short of some sort. I test the battery when I got home. It was 12.8 V at rest and 14.2 V at 3000 rpms. So the charging system is working. Tomorrow I'm going to dig into it and look for anything fun. Any help is appreciated.

Tim

Where did you mount the alarm box sounds related,If the alarm when in alert mode makes the headlight and flasher blink then kills the ingnition seem to all tie in,it sound as if the alarm is shorting these system when it gets hot. Pull it off the bike through it away buy a rotor lock

The alarm is mounted in the right side of the tail, right beside the ECM. I had to wiggle out the ECM with PCII past the alarm. I don't know what brand it is (key fob doesn't say), and it doesn't flash the lights. It just makes an annoying noise. I'm going to dig into it tonight and see if there are any markings on the alarm box. What's the deal with factory alarms on the XX? I recall that they were only on European bikes.

BTW, the very first time I noticed the FI light come on was as soon as my wife sat on the pillion for the first time. Before that I had no issues at all, and I only had related power problems this past Sunday. I'd seen the light come on a number of times before recently (bought the bike at Xmas), but there weren't any power problems then.

Tim

I suggest you check your ECU for fault codes and proceed from there.

Perhaps I'll give that a shot as well. My manual is at home (I'm at work) but I assume there's a way to put the ECM into diagnotic mode and read the sequence from the FI light? Incidentally, the light does not flash in a sequence as of yet, it kind of glows on and flickers out repeatedly with no regularity.

Tim

It doesn't have to blink in a sequence even if there's a fault. You can check the codes by jumping the diagnostic plug and turning the key on. Check the manual for the complete procedure.

It doesn't have to blink in a sequence even if there's a fault. You can check the codes by jumping the diagnostic plug and turning the key on. Check the manual for the complete procedure.

Well, I just pulled off the tail bodywork and dug into the backend. I'm not sure exactly which plug it is for diagnosis. I found a clear rubber boot with about four connections in it, each a different colour. There was a solitary plug with 3 holes in a line and the case was grey or black. I've got the Haynes manual and it says the plug is supposed to be white. Did I get the right plug?

I jumped this plug I found, turned on the key and the FI light flashed a single pulse at a time with a break between each. No other sequence to see. I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow when I've got more time.

Tim

YOu're in the right area, but the diagnostic plug is open ended and only has two wires going to it. I don't remember the colors. You might check out the Honda Shop Manual for more details. It's available somewhere online. :icon_evilgrin: (Important/Useful Threads)

I think I've got the right plug then. There are only two wires going into it, although there are 3 holes an empty one in the middle.

Tim