CBR1100XX.org Forum

Speedo trouble

dunedain

My speedo works great to ~17.2 mph and then dies and goes to zero. 17.2 I got from GPS. It stays at 0 until I drop below 17.2 mph then it runs again.

Anyone ever have this kind of gremlin on a bike before?

Guest rockmeupto125

Clarify.

Do you mean that when you accelerate, the speedo rises to 17.2, then dies until you slow down to less than 17.2?

That's a new one on me. I would suspect the sensor. Either drop another one in to test it, or use the manual for the test procedure.

it's a 98 with the Hall Effect type sensor and analog display. I been through the connectors. I do not want to do a lot of carzy wiring stuff just before a big ass ride. I've done the manual test procedure. Disconnected the Pro-oiler. pulled and cleaned all connections. I guess a new sensor is next.

It's just odd that it works and then doesnt every time like there is a voltage bleed off or pulse reroute taking place somehow. I really dont want to throw $77 at a maybe.

Thanks for the input.

does it do this consistently, randomly or rarely? there are not a whole lot of possiblities...the speedo, the sensor , the wiring between the two or lastly the voltage regulator but there would likely be other symptoms if that were it

I did not pull the speedo wire tap form the pro-oiler just the power wire to the PO. I would have thought that enough to make it not impact me system but evidently a capicitor for the reed switch model which is only half used in the electronic version will cause this.

If you get an electronic version of the PO make sure there is no capacitor between #1 & #2 on the circuit board. If so snip it. Or send it back and say "I want and electronic version.

On the Reed Switch models you need both of those inputs but on the electronic version you just use #1.

Make sure you get the right board (Electronic not reed switch) in your kit or you will have trouble/