CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Lube

MarchyXX

Spent the best part of saturday cleaning the bird well 20 mins was to wash the bike the rest was removing chain lube!

Question. What are the better chain lubes out there that reduce the amount of crap that flicks off and covers everything else or is a pro oiler/scottoiler etc etc a better way to go i realise that there is always going to be some mess involved but the stuff i am using is covering everything and its so sticky it takes a lot of work to get it off. It sprays on like a foam and is clear but turns to a liquid in a few seconds and then starts to run.

I did a search for chain lube etc on here and didnt really find anything that answers my question did however see the possible group buy on pro oilers coming up would this be a better option?

Any one got any suggestions?????

Cheers

Marchy

The auto oilers will make your bike even more oil coverd.... Hobi has a good pick of his bike somewhere.... just coverd the rear after 1000 miles. But on the plus side... it just wipes off.

On the flip side is all the NON-Fling waxes and lubes.... as you are finding out... it's always a pain in the ass to get them off. Although WD40 works the best.

I've got probably 5 or 6 cans of various chain lube sprays on the bench in the garage..... collecting dust now.

I'm back to just useing 80-90W.

One of these days I may splurge and buy me a Pro-oiler... until then ... I have a squirt bottle. :icon_wink:

If you are looking to keep things clean, the Honda HP Chain Lube is the best I've used.

+5! Best I've used as well.. lasts quite awhile, doesn't really fling unless you use too much (like I do) or you take off right after you put it on (most lubes day to wait 15 minutes before riding), stays put in the rain, and doesn't attract dirt and sand, EVEN IN THE WINTER!

Mike

Maxima, Honda, Amsoil Heavy Duty Spray all work great. I think it's the method of application. Put the lube on at the end of a ride when the chain is warm, and the lube has time to penetrate and the carrier/propellant has time to evaporate. Don't lube the chain just before or during the ride unless it's absolutely necessary. If you do, expect to be cleaning up the lube that gets thrown off.

I like the Honda HP. I find that I can use a terry cloth shop towel, and clean the chain to shiny in about 10 minutes. No solvents. I just spray on new lube while slowly rotating the wheel.

I hate cleaning just before a ride, so I usually wash and dry the bike, wipe off the chain, and relube after my ride.

Some reviews. Personally, I've found PJ1 Black to be the best combo of lube and stick (insert joke here). But read about the pros and cos 1st. There is no clear cut #1. It's personal preference. Be sure to get a grunge brush. It's a staple when cleaning the chain with kerosene. Do not use WD40. It's a penetrant and will suck the lube outta your chain faster than....you get the picture.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-oil/

Honda HP lube. As as been said, put it on at the end of a ride when the chain and sprockets are warm. Even if you do get some splatter it wipes off pretty easily without cleansers.

Brian

i use jp1 blue label. it says right on the can "wont fly off". it works great.

I used a can of that stuff for awhile... I ride in the winter and rain though, and EVERYTHING stuck to that shit! Sand, salt, dirt, EVERYTHING... the Honda stuff seems to work as well, but almost nothing sticks to it!

Mike

I use Castrol Chain Wax. Came out on top in just about every catagory in the chain lube comparo test in RIDE mag. If you lube your chain after a ride while the chain is still warm, then wrap a rag around the chain and slowly spin the back wheel while holding the rag snug/closely around the chain, it will remove mose of the excess lube. Then let the lube set up overnight....bingo minimal fling...

Glad to hear the responses here.

I use the chain wax from maxima. Some love it. Some hate it.

I've NEVER had a cleaning problem. Kerosine works best, but WD-40 and a rag will get all the old stuff off before applying new chain wax.

I know some people who just ride with WD-40 and put a fresh coating on every now and then. Supposedly, if you run a good chain, the rollers don't need a lot of lube and the links are sealed so all you care about is keeping the chain clean more than anything else (dirty chain wears faster).

I'm doing a cross-country trip. Chain wax before I start, clean and re-wax at the end of the day. Have some WD-40 just in case I need a quick cleaning from something I rode through.

I use a scottoiler - still on original chain and sprockets (30,000+miles)

Advantage is that the 'fling you do get wipes off easy and means chain is always clean. Problem with

'won't fling' stuff (JP1, Castrol etc) is that dirt clings to them and creates a paste that grinds the C & S causing premature wear.

Use mine through British winters and as I say still original C & S!

FWIW, I changed my chain and front sprocket at 24k, and it looked to still have PLENTY of life left in it, but it was the start of the season and I didn't want to have to carry a chain with me all over the country the whole summer in case I needed it, and figured I had gotten my money out of it, so I went ahead and changed them...

I just use the Honda stuff every couple hundred miles and the thing wasn't lubed at all for the first 5k miles (before I got it), and here is a pic of one of the pins I pressed out of it at 24k miles... Also, I ride in the Indiana (USA) winters, which consists of me riding down to 20 degrees (F) and above 35 degrees in winter rains with salt and sand all over the roads (they use sand or salt here to melt the ice and give traction on snow-covered roads, but it stays long after the snow is gone.

IPB Image

And all the O-rings were in good shape and the chain was in the middle of the "new" part of the adjustment...

That having been said, I'm hoping to get a Pro-Oiler soon so I don't have to dick with the lube...

Mike