CBR1100XX.org Forum

Power Commander III Map for Micron

exskibum

As most of yous know, the FI birds' OEM header pairs 1&4 and 2&3, while the carbed birds' OEM header pairs 1&2 and 3&4 on the downpipes. Akropovic's 4-2-1 follows suit, with different configurations for carbed vs. FI birds. OTOH, Micron 4-2-1 headers use the original 1&2 and 3&4 pairing for both carbed birds and FI birds.

So, last I looked, the Power Commander site has a map for an Akro 4-2-1 for the PCIII, but no PCIII map for the Micron 4-2-1. Seems to me that there would be a difference in tuning between the Akro and Micron 4-2-1, due to the different cylinder pairings, but I could be wrong. Anyone know if there's another map that's a better fit for the Micron than the Akropovic, or have a custom map for the Micron piping? Only mod is the pipe, air filter is stock, bike is a 2003.

TIA

As most of yous know, the FI birds' OEM header pairs 1&4 and 2&3, while the carbed birds' OEM header pairs 1&2 and 3&4 on the downpipes. Akropovic's 4-2-1 follows suit, with different configurations for carbed vs. FI birds. OTOH, Micron 4-2-1 headers use the original 1&2 and 3&4 pairing for both carbed birds and FI birds.

So, last I looked, the Power Commander site has a map for an Akro 4-2-1 for the PCIII, but no PCIII map for the Micron 4-2-1. Seems to me that there would be a difference in tuning between the Akro and Micron 4-2-1, due to the different cylinder pairings, but I could be wrong. Anyone know if there's another map that's a better fit for the Micron than the Akropovic, or have a custom map for the Micron piping? Only mod is the pipe, air filter is stock, bike is a 2003.

TIA

I would save up a little money a get it dyno'd with that setup. Micron's are sweet IMHO. I have dualies, but 4-2-1 should really give you some nice power and sound if you can get it tuned well. I love Micron's, it's my second set on my second bird. Nice little grumble idling and scream that the hoe's they are at WOT :icon_evilgrin: .

I would save up a little money a get it dyno'd with that setup. Micron's are sweet IMHO. I have dualies, but 4-2-1 should really give you some nice power and sound if you can get it tuned well. I love Micron's, it's my second set on my second bird. Nice little grumble idling and scream that the hoe's they are at WOT :icon_evilgrin: .

I'll probably do that one of these days when I move back to the California side of the hill. I talked to Mike at CTS about it Saturday, and he said he uses a shop down the street from him that he recommended.

Saturday, before riding to Auburn, I installed the map for the Erion full race header and stock air filter, guessing it might be the closest of the available PCIII maps (after comparing the OEM map matrix with the Erion map matrix). Can you say "healthy acceleration"?

Fortuitously, about an hour into the ride, I had a brain dead Hardley rider invite a demonstration. I rode up 395 to 50 to the Lake, around to 267 in Kings Beach and over to Truckee. There's a long entrance/merge there onto I-80, so I'm fully up to speed, and not accelerating as I pull onto 80. I'm doing maybe 70 when I get on I-80 just ahead of of a guy on a Hardley that I hear first, even with the new pipe droning and music playing in my headphones. This guy has a very cool set of REALLY loud pipes, you know. Seeing me on a lowly Jap rice burner, he cranks up the volume, apparently deciding he's going to school me about REAL motorcycles.

With the volume set at WFL (Way Fuckin' Loud), he charges up in the lane to my left like he's going to go by me and for a second or so, I thought: "Are you fucking brain dead or something -- when was the last time that ANY bike that looked anything like this got run over by that P.A. system you're on?" I was tempted to just roll it on and lose him, but it was clear that this was also very much about noise. So, I stomped on the left foot clicker and grabbed a handful of my volume knob. Problem for the mental midget is that my volume knob also makes horsepower -- LOTS of it. (Nice scream to it, too -- just like you said, Steve.) When the digital read out was approaching 130 (not sure what this means, since I also put a 46T on the rear to slightly lower the final ratio and haven't installed the Speedo Healer yet), I rolled it off, but the Hardley was a speck of headlight by then. He got close again as we slowed for the Ag. inspection station, and I let him stay a hundred yards back until we got to the steepest part of that grade and I said bye bye for good.