CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain got VERY loose after a ride

BarryG

Bird has 14500 mi. w/orig chaing Tightened and lubed chain @ 14100 mi...since it had a bit too much slack. No real kinks in the chain....

Got back from a 100 mi ride Sun and checked the chain and it was basically resting on the centerstand...it came completely loose. The right fastener bolt was not tight. When I adjusted it.....I torqued the axle bolt to spec and tightened the fasteners....I havened checked the axle bolt yet but by hand, doesn't seem loose.

My chain is close but not at the "new chain" section of the swingarm.

Just wondering how the bolt/chain got so loose?? Is it a sign I need a new chain?

Thx,

B

Well, the first time I adjusted my chain, after putting the wheels back on, it got all the way loose in a couple hundred miles... it was because I didn't torque down the adjusters (in the tighter position, toward the back of the bike) after I torqued the axle...

BTW, you did screw them COUNTER-clockwise after you torqued the axle right, so like you were trying to take a bolt out, or adjust the chain tighter, right?

Mike

BTW, you did screw them COUNTER-clockwise after you torqued the axle right, so like you were trying to take a bolt out, or adjust the chain tighter, right?

Mike

I "think" I did.....but usually I'm an idiot so I always use the manual or documentation when I adjust the chain.....this time I did not. I may have screwed them clockwise.......

I'll do it correctly tonight and test ride it and hopefully I'll be set......

thx for the post, Mike.

Barry-----------Just ride the new Triumph until it needs adjustment-----then, read this thread---it's VERY important! http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...opic=19830&st=0

Happy trails kel

Barry-----------Just ride the new Triumph until it needs adjustment-----then, read this thread---it's VERY important! http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...opic=19830&st=0

Happy trails kel

That there is a good thread, if I do say so myself. Seems 14K is about average for a stock chain though some folks can make em last longer.

That was a good thread. However, I think I probably sent the adjusters in the wrong direction after tightening the axle. I've cleaned/lubed the chain religiously since 1600 mi when I got the bike. No red dust on the chain at all.

One thing to be noted... If the chain is in the "replace" area after you re-adjust it, then it's bad, and your axle probably stayed in the same place while the chain stretched...

FWIW, I don't ride easy, but I don't ride hard either, and my stock chain was right in the middle of the "new" section when I replaced it at 23,500 miles... I just didn't want to chance it because of all the trips I was going to go on this summer...

Mike

One thing to be noted... If the chain is in the "replace" area after you re-adjust it, then it's bad, and your axle probably stayed in the same place while the chain stretched...

FWIW, I don't ride easy, but I don't ride hard either, and my stock chain was right in the middle of the "new" section when I replaced it at 23,500 miles... I just didn't want to chance it because of all the trips I was going to go on this summer...

Mike

After adjustment definitely not in the "replace" area...has a little way to go before that.