CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear shock linkage question

airborneXX

I've noticed a light squeaking noise while going slow over bumps or when I bounce the rear of the bike. I'm guessing it's the rear shock linkage since it seems to be quite exposed to the elements. Can the linkage be taken apart and lubed up?

No I'm not selling it

No my tires aren't cupped

:icon_wink:

I've noticed a light squeaking noise while going slow over bumps or when I bounce the rear of the bike. I'm guessing it's the rear shock linkage since it seems to be quite exposed to the elements. Can the linkage be taken apart and lubed up?

No I'm not selling it

No my tires aren't cupped

:icon_wink:

Yes, you can remove the link arm. The factory link has needle bearings that can benefit from periodic lube.

I have lowered mine with a Pro-Tek link which has bronze (I think, maybe brass, but I doubt it...) bushings which would also benefit from periodic lubing.

My guess is the noise is in the shock or shock mounts somewhere. Been awhile since I heard a bad or under lubed bearing squeak, the noises involved there are usually more unpleasant.

My guess is the noise is in the shock or shock mounts somewhere. Been awhile since I heard a bad or under lubed bearing squeak, the noises involved there are usually more unpleasant.

+1, my guess is that the noise comes from the shock's top mount.

Try first to spray some oil (whith a straw attached to the can) and check if the noise goes away for a few days.

Of course you'll create a mess but you'll know.

I had the same problem with my WP shock and I did that as a temporarily solution.

If you have time and a friend to help, ask your friend to compress-uncompress the rear suspension (like what you do to check rear free sag) and try to put your fingers in the shock mount and try to feel the vibration from the dry bolt. However if it is not that bad, I doubt that you can feel it but it has worked some times in the past.

Or you can just remove the bolt clean it and grease it.

Guest rockmeupto125

I'd look elsewhere first.

Here's something that's cheap and easy to try. Take the Corbin off. Put a fender cover or even a small blanket on the subframe and take it around the block. Sometimes the Corbins rub against the cowl, or don't fit the latch quite right.

The rear shock linkage has dust seals that stop the dirt and water. When I took my 97 apart, it still looked clean and lubed inside.

I have lowered mine with a Pro-Tek link which has bronze (I think, maybe brass, but I doubt it...) bushings which would also benefit from periodic lubing.

Those will always bind because there is no place for the grease to stay. I know because that is what I had until I had the link machined out and the factory bearings pressed in.

[Those will always bind because there is no place for the grease to stay. I know because that is what I had until I had the link machined out and the factory bearings pressed in.

Hmm, I'll keep an eye on it... I'll likely re-install the original link. I like it lowered, but I'm not keen on the reduced clearance for the street.