CBR1100XX.org Forum

rear axle lb pounds question

The Krypt Keeper

I know the rear axle nut is called to have 69ft lbs on it.. I have also noticed that my rear wheel if i spin it will make about 1 full turn and thats it..

Last night after installing a new rear I cranked the axle nut to 60ft pounds and gave it a spin... She spun around 2 1/2 times.. I torqued the nut down to 69ft lbs and it did the same spin about once and thats it.

I am aware that the lock nut compressed the swingarm and keeps everything tight and kosher.. Would running it at 60ft lbs and maybe putting a drop a red locktite just for good measure harm anything? The spacers and all don't spin and everything works like normal, but it all don't seem to have as much drag which could be a reason for chain and rear sprocket wearing faster than normal..

I am using a 1/2" drive beam torque wrench so it might also not be accurate but I keep it at zero and store it properly after each use..

I am asking before I screw up something by riding it 1500 to 2000 miles in the next couple of days on the WV meet..

Guest rockmeupto125

completely disregarding your question:

Research is best reserved for times when you are NOT heading out for more than a tank of gas and a weekend away from home.

I agree with Joe on the experimentation timing.

Also, have you checked the clearances around the brake caliper opening, looking for some additional drag in that area as you get to the specified torque?

Running loose without needed bearing preload could cause a little wheel wobble when everything is hot, wearing the bearings and seals and pushing the pads back into the caliper where they might not work the first time they are needed.

Good point Joe.. :icon_lol:

I took a little 55 mile ride this evening to scrub in my new tire.. I left the axle nut at 60ft lbs. At the half way mark I stopped and checked everything over and there was no sign of anything coming loose and since the tire was covered in 5lbs of mold release :icon_rolleyes: I never really pushed the bike in the turns to see if anything would act funny..

BUT.....

For the whole entire damn ride I couldn't stop thinking about the damn axle nut :icon_redface: So to give my mind some peace I am going to crank it up 9lbs to the 69lbs and just ride it.

I did look for any clearance issues for the brakes and all that stuff.. I don't have a micrometer here at home but just from eye balling it, seems the swingarm is compressed together till about 50 - 55 ft lbs and this is when the spacers and the bearings all come together. I have read about other members mentioning the rear wheel only turning over once while his friends busa went around like 10 times.. Just something that has had me thinking for some time... :icon_wall:

On a high note the air was a cool crisp 70 degrees on the ride home with basically no humidity... man was she loving the crisp air... :icon_twisted: was a good little evening ride..