CBR1100XX.org Forum

Return throttle spring damaged while trailering.

Texhoss

[attachmentid=1036]I made it back from OZARXX and rode the bike today. My Canyon Dancer has damaged my trailer queen. I have to return the throttle by twisting it back in place. I could have put the NEP Throttle Lock in a bind. Would anyone know what know WTF I did.

post-1973-1148347604_thumb.jpg

Does it feel like it's binding, or does it move pretty freely with no return action?

I can see the Canyon Dancer tweaking the throttle tube a bit and causing it to bind on the bar end or something. Assuming that it's binding a bit rather than spinning freely without returning, I'd start by going over the throttle tube, grip and bar end looking for something rubbing where it shouldn't.

Would anyone know what know WTF I did.

DUH! You already said it... trailered!

Actually, you should be able to untighten the allen screw and remove 100% of any tension the NEP would be putting on the throttle. The screw comes all the way out and back in easily.

AND, glad you made it up for the lastest event, what a blast! See you again maybe in October!? :icon_think:

It appears that the throttle is binding both ways, but the binding is harder on the return (or lack of the return). I will check this out today. Thanks for the assistance. I will start with the NEP.

We middle aged (cough, cough) folks, still need the pickups to assist us, in hauling gear, I was trying to bring vital supplies, to help feed the troops. It is hell getting, a little older, I slept thru the fireworks at the Traveler Inn Friday night!! The place didn't burn, it just smoked.......a little.

I what to tell you, I enjoyed ever minute of time, riding and meeting you guys and gals. There are some nice roads in the Ozarks!!!

We middle aged (cough, cough) folks, still need the pickups to assist us, in hauling gear, I was trying to bring vital supplies, to help feed the troops.
Ahhh heck, I was just kidding, any way you can get there... DOOOO IT!

And I agree, those roads were nearly perfect, Out of the whole Saturday, I can only think of a couple turns where the surface was questionable. And of course, the scenery was gorgeous.

It appears that the throttle is binding both ways, but the binding is harder on the return (or lack of the return). I will check this out today. Thanks for the assistance. I will start with the NEP.

We middle aged (cough, cough) folks, still need the pickups to assist us, in hauling gear, I was trying to bring vital supplies, to help feed the troops. It is hell getting, a little older, I slept thru the fireworks at the Traveler Inn Friday night!! The place didn't burn, it just smoked.......a little.

I what to tell you, I enjoyed ever minute of time, riding and meeting you guys and gals. There are some nice roads in the Ozarks!!!

NEP + Canyon Dancer = problems....

Had to take my NEP off after using the dancer once. It twisted it enough to cause problems with turning the gas ether way. Couldn't make the NEP work after that, it was never right again.

Canyon Dancers are notorious for mashing grips up to the control housing. Thats why you should never use them.

Tut tut. Next time cut a piece of pvc pipe and put it over each grip before putting the Dancer on. It will keep the grips from moving anywhere. Transported the Bird on many trips and many miles using that setup with 0 problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I did email Canyon Dancer, and owner Kent Shubbs, got a quick response, and a request to call. Kent was wanting to talk to me, about the problem, and possible solutions, for the binding throttle.

I called Kent, a businessman, but more than that, he is sincerely, a devoted motorcyclist, like us. Kent nailed the problem as being....the grip slipping inward with pressure of the harness on a hot day, and having old glue. I had made 3 total trips and had grown fond of the Canyon Dancers, ease of use. The last trip home from OZARXX, causing problems.

I did find time to look into the repairs to my throttle today, with the help of a friend, his compressor and glue we remove the grip, and reglued it without any damage to the bike or NEP Throttle Lock. The throttle works great!!!

Finding out, Kent lives in Red Bluff, Calif., and that, struck me.....TBME Meet home base city...tellng Kent, he needed to go meet the members.... and yes, join the forum. Kent , you are a businessman, and gentleman, you have offered Forum Members your facility for tire changing, tools, latest road info, bike transport, and I feel.....the shirt off your back, if it would help us, on this meet. I want the TBME Members go by Kent's Facility and introduce yourselves (his request) too... our new member is, Cnyndncr. You will be glad you went by. Thanks Kent, for your friendship!

Carl

Tut tut. Next time cut a piece of pvc pipe and put it over each grip before putting the Dancer on. It will keep the grips from moving anywhere. Transported the Bird on many trips and many miles using that setup with 0 problems.

How long PVC a piece are you using?

just long enough to pass the grips I assume?

How long PVC a piece are you using?

just long enough to pass the grips I assume?

Yep, length of the grip. I actually use the plastic pipe inserts that they used to use in golf bags to keep the clubs seperated. Cut it length-wise to make it easy to slip over the grip.