CBR1100XX.org Forum

front fender clearance?

dennis

Anyone notice if the front fender on the L. side [clutch lever side] has less clearance than the other side?Mine has about 1/2" less and I can't find any reason for it unless it'a designed that way for brake line clearance.On the l. caliper the top line that crosses under and behind the second master cylinder seems like it touches the fender on that side.I put a fender extender on my last bird but did not notice this when I put it back on.So I put one on this one and bolted it up but even after pulling the line away w/ a cable tie there is still a difference.Is this normal?Am I normal?

You are correct; the rear of the front fender is assymetrically offset about 1/2" to the right. In fact, the clearance is small enough on the left, that it will rub a Michelin Pilot Road if care is not taken to line the fender up right. On my '03, I had to square up (just a little) the two 90-degree metal to flexible brake line elbows to keep the left caliper's flexible line from pushing the fender into the tire. That line wore a groove through the paint and some of the plastic on the left rear side of the fender.

I didn't know to check this clearance on the original Dunlop's, so I don't know if the Pilot Roads are just a little wider or not.