CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clattering on cold idle

Alpha Crow

I've noticed lately when I crank her up that (starts right up) that there is a very quiet clattering sound coming from the front of the bike, about where the cylinders are. I have to put my head down near it to hear it, but it's definitely there. Goes away once the bike warms up.

Also seems to be running rough on cold idle. Again, once warmed up, it's all gone. I don't remember hearing the clattering, but not sure on how rough it ran on start up.... not sure if it's me being a hypochondriac after noticing one thing.

'99 BB, Micron slips, K&N filter, 15.8k miles on it.

I have new spark plugs and a new fuel pressure regulator within.. about 2k miles on it. Oil change is about 2.5k old, flushed and new DOT4 clutch and brake within 600 miles.

Though I've heard the noise before, I'm running a little seafoam through it also.

Any advice where to start? I'm hoping my valves aren't loose and doing that. That exceeds my knowledge of how to go about fixing them. Valve spring replacements?

Try pulling in the clutch when you start it. I bet the noise goes away. Mine does this until the plates get oil flow to them.

I think many bikes do this.

Sounds like a little clutch basket rattle. THat's normal. When everythin get's up to temp, the parts expand, and the rattle should go mostly away. Follow redxxrdr's advice.