CBR1100XX.org Forum

Head, valve and cam work

Master Of Pain

Can someone reccomend a stateside shop for a complete head job?

What I mean by complete is: Porting, polishing, valve job, cam grind. I have a 97' and I would like to get this done. What RWHP/TQ gains are expected?

I would probably approach Erion Brothers Racing for something like this. They have considerable experience in making Honda motorcycles go fast.

There is a lot to this cylinder head modification thing. Port work has to be integrated with cam timing, exhaust and intake system modifications and combustion chamber/piston crown work as well.

HP improvement is not, in and of itself, the best thing to seek. Yeah, I know, when it comes to power, wretched excess is just barely enough. Problem is, big HP numbers when chased in the conventional way, tend to beat on low and mid range torque with consequent reduction in driveability. There are also penalties in the overall reliability of the motor even if you go with top shelf stuff. Those narrow seats, right out at the edge of the valve that allow maximum breathing, won't retain their good seal over a long period. The higher compression is going to require premium gas or more to keep things out of detonation.

I guess, it depends on what you want. A little light porting, along with a precision valve job, some drop-in cams and a good pipe, along with a jet kit for your carbs could get your another 20 HP or so at the crank. Maybe a little bit more. You could go all out and bring the motor to near pro stock specs and probably get 45 or so more but you wouldn't want to spend any time touring on the thing.

What are your goals? What is the intended use of the bike? You may just find, that the investment isn't worth it. You might be able to sell your stocker and put the money you were going to spend on modifications into a newer, faster motorcycle.

Can someone reccomend a stateside shop for a complete head job?

Maybe Hugh Grant can give you the number of "Divine Brown" :icon_lol: :icon_shifty: