CBR1100XX.org Forum

Good LED tail light for XX?

testrider

Can anybody recommend a good LED tail light for my 97 XX? One that's really bright, can function as tail/brake light and also can be seen from the side? (I believe the one in my XX is 1157 dual filament bulb?)

Thanks!

I wonder if 2 of these 30-LED 1157 bulbs will fit in the 97 XX?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

Can anybody recommend a good LED tail light for my 97 XX? One that's really bright, can function as tail/brake light and also can be seen from the side? (I believe the one in my XX is 1157 dual filament bulb?)

Thanks!

No, they won't fit. Ours has a base like a 3157, but with a smaller capsule.

As for the question about a good LED tail light and who makes one,,,,,Dammes if I knkow. I was going to build one myself, but ran out of interest and time. For me to run out of interest in LED's is saying a lot too. I did see a member on the forum did a custom install not too long ago and used a tail light from either a CBR1KRR or a CBR600RR. It was really sweet. He did an awsome job. Too much work for my though. I just don't have the time.

The following is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Don't use the LED's that replace the standard bulb only. Standard bulbs throw out light in pratically all directions, lighting up the entire reflector of the tailight housing. The LED's replacement bulbs are extremely directional, and IMHO, are not very bright in the stock housing. I've seen other bikes where just the bulb was replaced, and there was little difference between running light and braking. And the braking light appeared to be nowhere near as bright as stock running light. Cross eyed yet?

Replacing the entire tailight housing with a dedicated (clear alternatives and such) LED array is another story. Some seem to be as bright, if not brighter than stock incandesent bulbs.

Again, that is just my observations on LED bulbs.

Thanks!

No, they won't fit. Ours has a base like a 3157, but with a smaller capsule.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...rbrightleds.com

I beg to differ. I've had my 30 LED bulbs for awhile now and love them.

I also put in an electronic flasher and have the 30 LED bulbs in my rear turnsignals.

I've got these.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/1156-x30.htm

The statement about a single 30led cluster being a waste is true. You will have a small bright spot LOST in the lens mainly because it protrudes so close to the lens the light cant be angled out enough. Here is a trick. I got a 600RR light off eBay and disassembled it. I dremeled an opening in the backing and epoxyed the led board in place. I have a 99 so I did that in the upper (on a 97-98 that will do the whole light). That served as the running and brake light. In the lower half I used 3, 30led clusters that I removed from their housings and did the same deal, dremel and epoxy. After I wired it to a stock type plug I sealed the light with plexiglass and silicone, then painted it black so it looks stock in the bike. Oh yes, added 2 white wide angle leds in the bottom for plate lights.

For turn signals, I used K&S DOT legal short stalks(they have the stamping on the lens etc). I took the same 30led clusters and wired them in place. Since all these lights are retaining the fluted lenses in front of them they are visible from all angles such as a stock light. Mounting the leds as far back in the housings help this as well. In the pic below I wired them on so I could take the pic and not have to time it with the flashing.

The reason some reccomend red leds in red lenses is that they wont filter the light that much but now that they make white leds you can use them as well.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Pete,

I believe 97/98 have the same housing (side by side bulb instead of

later model's top bottom.) Did you install 1 or 2 of those 30-led bulb?

Got any pics?

Thanks.

mike

Yep, 97 & 98 the same, 99 on the same.

I've got 2 30 LED bulbs side by side. It gives the look of a pair of eyes looking out of the lens. :icon_cool:

Pete, I assume that these 30-led bulbs have both running and brake lights?

So does it work? Does it light up some of the 3-led in running light then

light up the rest when braking or are all 30 LEDs lit all the time?

A buddy put a led taillight on his K bike. I am trying to find out who made this thing. It is very bright as a running light, brighter for braking. It also pulses when the brakes are first applied.

I can tell you it is annoying as hell to ride behind him. Just what I want on my bike to be seen.

I will ask him to stop by his stealer and find out who makes it.

Pete, I assume that these 30-led bulbs have both running and brake lights?

So does it work? Does it light up some of the 3-led in running light then

light up the rest when braking or are all 30 LEDs lit all the time?

Both running and brake lights. All LED's on low for running, all on bright for brake.

The guys I ride with say it's really an attention getter, especially from a distance.

Redxxrdr, those sound like Hyperlites. My buddy has them on his Concours. They do border on annoying especially when I follow him all day. But I bet he never gets rear ended.

Guest rockmeupto125

I use the LED board from High Tech Speed

www.hightechspeed.com

placed in a Clear Alternatives housing.

And I approve this post.

I use the LED board from High Tech Speed

www.hightechspeed.com

placed in a Clear Alternatives housing.

And I approve this post.

rockmeup - did you do anything with the stock turn signals or remove them? I like this UFO Light and would also want to keep the stock t/s with LED's installed in them.

Guest rockmeupto125

I did do something with the turn signals. And if I look hard enough, I can probably find where I put them when I took them off the bike.

I would imagine that your turn signals with LED's would work fine with that light, but I haven't done it, so I can't guarantee.

I did do something with the turn signals. And if I look hard enough, I can probably find where I put them when I took them off the bike.

I would imagine that your turn signals with LED's would work fine with that light, but I haven't done it, so I can't guarantee.

Yeah, I thought you might say that :)

I have Beetles on the bike now, and without the signals it looks rather.... strange. I'l pose the question to the UFO guys and post the answer here for the group.

Thanks!

Here is what I'm running on my V-Strom

Led light bulb

I really like this bulb. It has LED's laying on the side to bounce off the refectors and "fill" the light lens better than a regular LED bulb. You my have to demel/file a very small amout off the housing as the LED bulbs are a tiny bit bigger.

I would show you pictures, but that will have to wait as I'm in Cali pick up my new 97 Bird from Obby in San Fran.......

My bike :icon_cool:

I just bought a pair of this 35-LED bulbs to give it a try. This one has both forward

and sideway facing LEDs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-1157-H...sspagenameZWDVW

I have also ordered a pair of H7 Philips VisionPlus that I read a lot of good things about:

http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=99

What year XX are you going to try these on?

I just bought a pair of this 35-LED bulbs to give it a try. This one has both forward

and sideway facing LEDs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-1157-H...sspagenameZWDVW

I have also ordered a pair of H7 Philips VisionPlus that I read a lot of good things about:

http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=99

What year XX are you going to try these on?

Mine is 97. The headlight bulb should be the same, H7 but the tail/brake bulb is different for 99 and later, is that right? Mine uses 1157 tail bulb.

Thanks!

I have the LED cluster bulbs in my stock taillight ('97 bird) and during the day the bulbs are visible from the side on both taillamp and brakelamp.

At night it is very bright - with brakes off it looks like eyes from behind, and the diffusion in the red lens of the stock taillamp lights up pretty much the entire lens. The brakelight at night is just plain evil... very bright and quite offensive close up. Guys behind me at traffic lights tend to shield their eyes if they are close - nasty bright.