CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear Shock Link interchange ??

beondwacko

Does anyone know if there is a rear shock link ( OEM Honda ) from another model Honda that fits the XX and drops the ass end down 1.5-2 inches?

1st or 2nd gen. 900RR, ya? I think...

Of course I could be talking directly out of my ass here.

just drill a new hole in the side plates for the height you need. It changes the geometry some but it is not a problem. I did it on my turbo 900RR without any problems(but that was also before they had the lowering links available from Protec and several other companies.

Speedlink makes a hellofa lowering link. You can raise and lower in no time flat. The good thing about this one is that you can lower it for the strip and then raise it back up higher than stock for the twisties :icon_twisted: Did I say that I love mine?

[attachmentid=891]

post-383-1147206720_thumb.jpg

Speedlink makes a hellofa lowering link. You can raise and lower in no time flat. The good thing about this one is that you can lower it for the strip and then raise it back up higher than stock for the twisties :icon_twisted: Did I say that I love mine?

[attachmentid=891]

Now that thing is just cool!

I found out that CBR600's f2's , f3's f4's interchange with the XX as well. I found a "Bones" brand one on egay for $80, but after looking at that adjustable one, I'm thinking about making one myself. The big question would be where does one get grade 8 1/2 threaded rod.

I got mine through Schnitzracing.com and it cost right at $125 if I remember correctly. It used to be able to SLAM the rear, but I cut some of the threaded rod off to keep the centerstand (rod would hit the center bar of the centerstand and not let it come up). I didn't used to keep my centerstand on the bike and put it on when working on it, but I finally decided to keep it on the bike. With straps on the front and this link, I believe that I could get mine down to about 3" off the ground. I used to have a pic of a baseball not being able to fit between the ground and the exhaust, but have lost it.

Demon,

Thanks for the info with the centerstand. I intend to keep mine on the bike come hell or highwater. I hadn't even thought about clearance issues before this was mentioned. I guess that's because I have not wrenched on this area of the bike before.

I'm not sure how I feel about drilling the side plates as it was mentioned. The only hesitation I have with the is the ease ( or lack of ) getting the bike back up to stock height to ride 2 up. Actually, that's another question all together. WHen the bike is lowered, say 1.5 inches in the rear via a lowering link, will the bike still be able to carry a passenger, or will the suspension travel be too little? I should say the range of suspension travel actually.

Input ?

I've had the wife on the back with me with it lowered 3" in the rear. It didn't have any problems but I was cautious because of the limited ground clearance.

I was worried about the tire hitting the inner fender. I'm glad to hear that I won't have to concern myself about that one.

As for the Kickstand,,,,,,,, does anyone else in here think that with the XX at stock height that the kickstand is a little short and the bike lean over a little too much?

Oh, another thing, I had to cut and weld my kickstand for the lowered height. I cut about 1 3/4" off of it and welded the foot back on. When it's raised up I have an aluminum spacer that I bolt to the foot raising it back up to stock kickstand length. You won't want to ride it much on the street lowered though. I lowered my front forks in the tripples an inch and took the rest up with the strap. When it's strapped down another couple inches, the ride will suffer.

I sometimes see "people" riding around on the street with the straps cinched. Duh........... That much at least I know better. Ya' think is I go down 2 inches front and rear I'll still have to shorten the sidestand ?

As for the Kickstand,,,,,,,, does anyone else in here think that with the XX at stock height that the kickstand is a little short and the bike lean over a little too much?

Definitely! I have the longer shock and it is a real problem. :icon_think:

If you go down 2 inches, the bike will probably sit straight up. I'd try it and see. If you keep the centerstand on it you could probably put it up on that, though it is a little harder to get it up on it with it lowered.

If you go down 2 inches, the bike will probably sit straight up. I'd try it and see. If you keep the centerstand on it you could probably put it up on that, though it is a little harder to get it up on it with it lowered.

Well, I really have to keep the centerstand for parking reasons in my garage. I park the bike next to a wall on the centerstand, and then my truck goes next to it, then the new Lexus, then the Seca. To keep the bike as close to the wall as I can, I have to use the centerstand. Maybe I'll start looking for another sidestand on egay that I can shorten.