CBR1100XX.org Forum

May have screwed up my bike again, please help

silverbird1100

A few weeks ago I replaced my stator cover because of a hairline crack. When I put it back on the bike , itsounded very strange when starting and acted like it (starter) was having to work extra hard to spin the motor followed by an extra few spins (zings) after it fired. I later found when I pulled the cover back off and was more careful with the gear and dowel pin, it fixed the problem but I'm almost positive it's still starts with a higher pitch. I started it like 6 times before fixing the problem, could I have damaged something? I'm willing to take no chances because I have a trip to California comign up and will replace the $300 starter clutch and motor if it will give me piece of mind. What should I do?

Well, havent gotten to that part of my 97 yet BUT sounds like you need a service manual. Also I am purely speculating here but possibly you could have bound up the starter motor? This could have bent or warped the shaft some? I dont really have a specific idea having NOT ever seen this but I am thinking something is bent or bound.

Hope it is ok

Kinley

Well, havent gotten to that part of my 97 yet BUT sounds like you need a service manual. Also I am purely speculating here but possibly you could have bound up the starter motor? This could have bent or warped the shaft some? I dont really have a specific idea having NOT ever seen this but I am thinking something is bent or bound.

Hope it is ok

Kinley

Something was DEFNITLY bound up. I have the manual and it must be right now, what I'm worried about is if I screwed something up. You know how when it's starting it makes a neeer-neeer-neeer :icon_angel: Well, those neeer's seem to be closer together and faster together than before even though it takes the same amount of time to fire. It really could just be nerves and if I hadn't been starting my Superhawk 20 times a week I probably wouldn't notice but like I said, I'm not willing to take any chances.

Just went for a ride, after it fires if keep spinning for a 1/2 second like the starter

clutch is slipping. Am I really fucked or not?

No. The starter will spin the starter clutch with the engine running just fine. I dunno if you were expecting a grind like in a car (or bmw) if you hit the starter with it running, but that's normal.

Personally, I think it'll be OK. Ride the piss out of it.

I've had this bike for years, It's never done this before, that's my only concern.

Well you may well have bent something. But if it only impacts it for 1/2 a second on starting, it may just be one of these little idiosyncrasies you will learn to live with. Shy of replacing everything in the starting system, I don't know there's anything you can do with it. If all else fails, learn up on how to bump-start it and ride the piss out of it.

Did you buy an original Honda stator? Or a replacement?

I just installed a replacement, and it does the same thing.....

That is because it is more powerfull than the original, so it'll spin faster.

That is what you will hear.

Also in my case the thermal insolation seems to be thinner. This might cause some more noise, but I am not sure....

Did you buy an original Honda stator? Or a replacement?

I just installed a replacement, and it does the same thing.....

Also in my case the thermal insolation seems to be thinner. This might cause some more noise, but I am not sure....

Stator is the same. The only thing that changed was the side cover. It's probably impossible but I'm going to switch them back and see it is fixes the problem.

I can't tell you what your noise is, but I can tell you the above ain't it.

1. The stator doesn't spin, the flywheel does.

2. Buying a higher output stator will have zero effect on how fast anything spins.

You really should resist the urge to give mechanical advice, Frank.

If you can believe this, I put my old cover on and the noise is gone.

Now do I risk buying a brand new one or live with the minute amount of oil leakage.

The bad one was bought from this site although it is visibily perfect I don't blame the guy I bought it from.

That being the case----did you torque the new cover properly? You might also check the new cover for flatness by getting a sheet of 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper, place it on a very flat surface (surface plate, chunck of flat glass), hold the cover as evenly as possible and rub the gasket surface on the sandpaper using a figure 8 pattern---then rotate your holding position on the cover and again again sand the surface in a figure 8 pattern. Take a look at the gasket surface-----if the sandpapers scratches are even it is flat enough for the application. If not, repeat the sanding until it is even---shouldn't take much, clean, use some GASGACINCH. new gasket---torque to spec in an alternating pattern in two to three even steps. That's it---good as it gets---great seal--no harmonics from 'tweaked' casting.

By the way---you of course checked to make sure the new cover was the same depth as your old one--right?

Good luck and happy trails kel

All I know is I'm not taking this one off again unless I have to. That and the stator output changed in 99' and if the new one was for a carbed byrd, something may have been off. Fuck it, I'm through messing around with this. Thanks for everyone's help :icon_angel:

I can't tell you what your noise is, but I can tell you the above ain't it.

1. The stator doesn't spin, the flywheel does.

2. Buying a higher output stator will have zero effect on how fast anything spins.

You really should resist the urge to give mechanical advice, Frank.

1. I did mean the flywheel, i just got the English tem incorrectly translated. I just mounted a new stator myself...

2. In this case you are (again) correct. The speed is determed by the number of windings on the coil (again not sure about the correct words here). I just remebered Electronics was the worst subject I did in Technical school... :icon_redface:

Haven't had that cover off, so just a general engine idea.

IF you choose to try again, get some gun blueing from wally world and paint the inside of the cover. Install and run a few minutes. Remove the cover, and look for the place where the blueing is worn off.

We used to do this to round babbet bearings on old engines. Only we were rotating the crank to find the high spots to shave off the bearings. Blueing never seemed to wash off, but would show high spots with just one rotation of the crank.

This should quickly show you wear the binding is.

And yes,, I am that damn old. :icon_rolleyes:

I have been following this thread and thinking.

Just to clarify, you are changing the cover only. you are unbolting the stator, 4 allen bolts, and bolting it in the cover you got from here. then you get the new noise. You switch it back and it's gone.

First question, how did you get the hairline crack?

Is the rotor hitting the stator or the cover? Should see wear marks.

Is the stator mounted off center in the cover due to bent mounting bolts?

This is one of those problems hard to fix online.