CBR1100XX.org Forum

MRA Vario windscreen?

testrider

I have one, and have about 1200 miles with it.

With previous windscreens, even the tallest would put the turbulent edge of the bubble at my shoulders, making my helmet bob around and creating a lot of wind roar. I tried the fairy dust "laminar lip" fron Saeng, and it added about an inch to the bubble. Not enough. For reference, I'm 5'7" with short arms but I have VFR bars to help make up for it.

The Vario puts the bubble above my shoulders, probably around eye level or just below. This keeps enough force on the helmet to help keep my head up when leaning forward, and causes less helmet turbulence. The wind roar is greatly reduced.

On the highway, I put the Vario wing almost parallel with the screen, as otherwise it seems to push the bubble way up and over the helmet - that tends to make the helmet a little heavy after several hours, and I want some air going into my helmet vents, thanks. Where the wing is more useful is at speeds around 50 or less - just flip the wing up and you still can throw a large bubble behind the windscreen.

The fit and finish is very good. It is as close to a factory fit as I have found (and I've had... what, 4 different screens so far?), although it still isn't a cast piece like the oem screen, doesn't quite "dovetail" into the upper cowl.

I can't say I've been to 165 (with the Vario installed) like the guy in the ad, but I think with the amount of wind deflection it creates, it may flex significantly at the upper range of the XX's capabilities. The thought of windscreen parts flying at my neck at that speed sounds like an experience better avoided.

It isn't particularly attractive, unless you like the euro look. BMW guys always do a double-take and seem interested in it. I think MRA makes some aftermarket BMW screens.

Thanks, Mike!

Do you have any picture? Does the wing go up and down to create a larger/smaller air bubble or does it tilt fore and aft? Since you said you had 4 screens, did you have a Givi screen and how does the Vario compare to it?

I'm 5'10 and with the Givi screen and Helibar, the wind hits me from shoulder and up. Even though it helps to lift some weight off my wrist at speed but having to fight against the wind with my helmet, it made my neck sored after a long ride.

You said that it put a bubble at your eye level and below. Does that cause lots of wind noise?

Thanks again.

I've never had a Givi... I was never able to find one at a reasonable price.

I get less wind noise with the Vario than the other screens I've had. I've found that as long as the line of turbulence is above the lower edge of the helmet, the noise is greatly reduced. The wing tilts outward (forward) at the upper edge, and can be adjusted while riding (with some effort) to produce more "bubble".

Prior to the Vario I had a larger screen with a flipped edge (can't remember the brand) to which I added the Saeng spoiler. This screen was about the same size as the Givi, but flipped up at the to edge to throw a little more air. The Vario is better.

Being 5'10" with Helis, I'd guess you are about 3" higher than I am (maybe more, if you have a longer reach). I'm not sure where the Vario would place the edge of turbulence on you.

I'll try to get out and ride tomorrow and pay attention to how high I can throw the bubble by adjusting the wing. Again, at highway speeds I usually leave the wing all the way down, and it places the edge of turbulence right where it provides a little support for the helmet weight. I'll guess that with a little wing adjustment, it will throw the bubble high enough for you.

I just looked for some pics I thought I had, no luck. I'll take one tomorrow. The one on the website is a pretty good likeness, though. Add a Corbin, some Givi bags, and that's a REAL Sport/tour bike.

Here's some information regarding the VarioTouring Screen and a few photos.

At 70 mph, in the lowest position, the airflow hits my chest in approximately the same area as the OEM screen but the flow is far smoother. In the highest position, the airflow hits just above my visor and is also quite smooth. Ducking down slightly, eliminates almost any air from hitting my helmet at all.

Interestingly, there was almost no air hitting my shoulders and hardly any hitting my hands. I was riding on the freeways in 55 degree temps and my hands stayed warm wearing 3-season Olympia gloves.

I'm 5'9" but my Russell Day-Long saddle is probably an inch or so higher than the OEM seat.

It didn't turn the XX into a Goldwing but I'm happy with the results so far.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks Mike, thanks Bill,

I appreciate your inputs. It looks like the Vario at its lowest position is about

the same height of my Givi. May be it's the different shape as Bill you said

that at its lowest position it's about the same as OEM and the Givi is taller

than OEM.

I guess I will have to try it myself but twistedthrottle.com doesn't accept

return for a windscreen that's already mounted so I have to make sure

before putting down $140+shipping :-)

Bill, do you have larger pictures of the 4 thumbnail pics that you could post? Thanks!

IPB Image

I love mine.. it's fugly, but I can sit upright up to about 110MPH with minimal wind. I keep it in the second to highest setting. I'm 6'2", have the VFR bars. I've put about 6k miles on the bike with the windscreen since last summer.

As I recall, the height is closer to the OEM screen than to my Givi.

Additionally, you can put the windscreen into place without removing it from the shipping bag which will allow you to return it to twistedthrottle if you don't like it.

In my opinion, they look better in person than in any photos that I've seen but you'll know if you want it mounted on YOUR bike as soon as you see the real thing.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I ordered one of these from TT a few days ago, 2-3 week special order - will report on the install and impressions when it arrives!

Chris, please do when you received it. I probably won't be able to order it in a few weeks.

Bill, saw that you are a member of Iron Butt Association. Did you do it with your XX?

Very impressive!

• 3 months later...

I ordered one of these from TT a few days ago, 2-3 week special order - will report on the install and impressions when it arrives!

Chris, please do when you received it. I probably won't be able to order it in a few weeks.

Bill, saw that you are a member of Iron Butt Association. Did you do it with your XX?

Very impressive!

I now have about 300 miles on this screen and enjoy it much more than the stock '99 screen. I do about 30 minutes of highway on my work commute and find that to be quite a bit more pleasant. Certainly a high quality item, and the fit was 100% stock.

Chris,

Did you install that piece of grayish silicone edging (should have been black) on your screen? It appears to be a safety-based add-on, but it certainly does not add to the looks of a black bike all. I am curious if it has any affect on air flow like some of the other windscreen lip based products. :icon_think:

Chris,

Did you install that piece of grayish silicone edging (should have been black) on your screen? It appears to be a safety-based add-on, but it certainly does not add to the looks of a black bike all. I am curious if it has any affect on air flow like some of the other windscreen lip based products. :icon_think:

I did install it, and so far the looks have not troubled me.

I've been looking for an alternate to the Givi screen I'm running and had considered the Vario or some Saeng edging on the stock screen but found a French company w/ a touring screen and a Canadian distributor secdem for it that has the most upturn or lip that I've seen. Anyone know of this screen as far as quaility, fitment, etc. I only found two hits on a search and they were from several years ago and not much info. The Givi is great but the airstream force feeds me thru the chin vent and the stock one hits right at the neck. The price is 144 Canadian. Kinda pricey but I've had my fill of grasshoppers and dragonflies,although I still enjoy the occasional bee. Here's hoping this works. [attachmentid=3024]

post-2230-1157336905_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chris,

I was surprised that the windscreen top edge was not polished or roll finished. I guess i'll give it a go and install it, for safeties sake. I sure wish it was black, though. :icon_rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, all the other edges that you don't see were smoothed.