CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mileage to change over to pure synthetic ?

Newt

honda recomends you wait until 10k before going to syn oil so that the rings can seat properly to prevent high milage oil usage

Which is plain horseshit. An engine, when properly worn in, will acheive almost all of its ring seal, the primary contributer to oil consumption, in the first 500 or so miles. Even less if an agressive plan is followed. Beyond that, there is no point in waiting for some mystical milage level. A goodly number of premium cars come, these days, with full synthetic in the crankcase right from the factory. no evidence of excessive oil consumption there.

Both my current, street driven BMW motorcycles, with Nikasil liners, a notroiously hard surface, have been run on synthetic oils since their 600 mile service. Neither burns any more than 8oz of oil in 3K miles. This on a relatively high specific output twin cylinder engine that I run pretty hard.

I was in the stealership yesterday - and they had Mobil 1 motorcycle oil for - gasp - $12.95/quart ! Yikes ! Is it that expensive everywhere ? I thought it retailed for about $6.

M1 MX4T full synthetic motorcycle 10W40 is $8.00 at AutoZone... AT least the ones around me still carry it...

Mike

+1

In my case oil change intervals are 5000 miles which works on average to every 4 months. Most of my riding is 50 miles daily commute. I also find shift quality best with MX4T full synthetic

honda recomends you wait until 10k before going to syn oil so that the rings can seat properly to prevent high milage oil usage

Which is plain horseshit. An engine, when properly worn in, will acheive almost all of its ring seal, the primary contributer to oil consumption, in the first 500 or so miles. Even less if an agressive plan is followed. Beyond that, there is no point in waiting for some mystical milage level. A goodly number of premium cars come, these days, with full synthetic in the crankcase right from the factory. no evidence of excessive oil consumption there.

Both my current, street driven BMW motorcycles, with Nikasil liners, a notroiously hard surface, have been run on synthetic oils since their 600 mile service. Neither burns any more than 8oz of oil in 3K miles. This on a relatively high specific output twin cylinder engine that I run pretty hard.

Agreed.

Most people think that a motor needs to be babied during the first 1000 miles.

I think it needs to be run through the full range of rpms.

After the first heat cycle of 20 miles varying the rpm up to maybe 3/4s of redline, change the oil.

Then run it on up to redline and back down from then on. Just avoid constant rpm droning in the first few hundred miles, changing the oil at 300 miles with synthetic.