CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is 6mm down in front Same as 6mm up in rear?

sokanxx

Its been raining here for about two weeks straight and the forcast has it raining until the weekend. I'm tossing between the rear shim (6mm) or simply lowering the front via sliding the forks. I know that we have had many threads recently about how much you can slid them up and all that. But what I want to know is if i slid the forks 6mm through the trees will i get the same results as raising the rear 6mm? I imagine that I would be changing the geomety the same so it should have the same results. Anyone see a reason (other than clearance) that raising the rear would be better then lowering the front? Will the handling changes be the same if i lower the front rather than raise the rear? thanks for your help guys!

Dropping the front and raising the rear do different things to the geometry.

Raise the rear.

How is it different? What can I expect from one that I wont from the other?

Dropping the front and raising the rear do different things to the geometry.

Raise the rear.

How is it different? What can I expect from one that I wont from the other?

Simply put, the swingarm and shim relationship is not direct. IE a small amount of change at the pivot end (with the shim) equals something like an inch or greater out at the rear axle. Also, raising the forks in the triples by an excessive amount can lead to you cratering your rad with the front wheel. Do the shim.

Try the shim and see what you think. It makes the steering quick without being nervous. I tried 5mm on the forks and it was nice. Then I went anouther 5 and it was all over the place. I went back to the 5mm and with the Penske shock up a bit in the rear its nice.

trick is to raise the rear and then fine tune it with the front. I wouldn't recommend lowering the front more than 1/4" if you've done the 6mm raise on the shock at the rear.