CBR1100XX.org Forum

Whiny Pilot Roads

Warp11XX

New set of Pilot Roads with about 1000 miles on them now. I notice a distinct whine when I come even slightly of straight and level. Is this a standard experience with these tires? I love the grip and the ride and can even live with the slight noise...as long as it is a normal noise... :icon_think:

Weather is warming up. My gas mileage is still sucking at 34 to 35 mpg. I was getting 37 to 38 average before the weather turned cold last fall. I've ridden every week at least once all winter and kept the bike excercised. Where is my missing 3 or 4 mpg? :icon_wall:

New set of Pilot Roads with about 1000 miles on them now. I notice a distinct whine when I come even slightly of straight and level. Is this a standard experience with these tires? I love the grip and the ride and can even live with the slight noise...as long as it is a normal noise... :icon_think:

Weather is warming up. My gas mileage is still sucking at 34 to 35 mpg. I was getting 37 to 38 average before the weather turned cold last fall. I've ridden every week at least once all winter and kept the bike excercised. Where is my missing 3 or 4 mpg? :icon_wall:

Mine didn't whine that I can recall, but I always ride with plugs. But that was the only tire I got rid of that still had tread on it. Wouldn't stick for crap, took too long to warm up, didn't stay warm and the profile did not go well with sport riding.

Check your spark plugs.. I noticed my bike not firing up and also not getting the best mileage at 8,890 miles and I found out when I pulled my plugs.. The electrode that sticks out of the bottom straight down was pretty much not there when compared to the new irridium plugs I got..

Also they run different gas mixtures for winter. Might still have some winter gas in the tank.

Also check your airfilter.. Might be dirty or hell might even have a mouse nest in it... I found one in my old 750 and I rode it yr round :icon_eek:

I believe I remember the Pilot Roads making a kind of growling sound particularly when braking, but I attributed it to the tread pattern, and didn't find it objectionable. Otherwise I liked the tires and will probably replace the Pilot Sports I'm currently using with another set of Roads once these are used up.

I've never heard a whine from the Pilot Roads on the three sets I've had. Maybe

it's something else you're hearing?

I did notice a sound similar to what was mentioned when I first got the PR's too. It's normal and it lessens as mileage adds up on them. Your milage may be due to a winter blend of fuel being shipped to where you are. When it's cut with ethanol, you can expect a 10% loss of MPG on avarage.

I don't recall any noises from my numerous sets of Roads. The front has never cupped and every set have remained smooth right down to the last gram of rubber, obviously with the some of the grip decreasing on the back end of their life. If there is a noise, i would guess it's coming from front due to it's tread pattern.

I going w a Road rear and Power front this time (FedX should deliver today) to get more stick up front. Will be interesting to see how this combo works out for handling, stick and mileage. Testing will be done at OzarXX :icon_dance:

Hmmmm :icon_think: I guess it could be the gas...I use Texaco Premium 93 almost exclusively. I just put a new OEM air filter in about 1200 miles ago(last month). I've got a bit over 14K on her now and need to do valve check soon. I'll check/replace the plugs then I guess. Side note...What is the proper procedure for gapping Iridium plugs correctly?

The whine is pretty subtle and not annoying...just noticable when I transition into a curve/corner. I don't ride well enough to put much stress on the Roads grip limits I guess. They seem pretty solid mannered and sticky to me... :icon_rolleyes:

One other question...I'm pretty heavy...315 right now...when I get on the front brakes pretty hard from normal highway speeds, after a second or two of braking pretty hard, I get a slight shuddering type feedback into the bars from the front. It doesn't feel like what my idea of warped rotors would cause. Does anyone else get this feeling in the bars. Is it my weight transferring to the front and making the front tire "question" its stopping grip? Or...???

Hmmmm :icon_think: I guess it could be the gas...I use Texaco Premium 93 almost exclusively. I just put a new OEM air filter in about 1200 miles ago(last month). I've got a bit over 14K on her now and need to do valve check soon. I'll check/replace the plugs then I guess. Side note...What is the proper procedure for gapping Iridium plugs correctly?

Don't gap the new plugs: they come from the manufacturer properly gapped. Use a wire (not blade) gauge to check the gap and just put them in. If they aren't gapped correctly, take them back and bitch about it. By the way, changing plugs takes way more time than it needs to 'cuz of where they are (behind the oil cooler/radiator/lower panels/inner panels, etc.) Rumour has it you can go in through the air box easier. Check Dale's (Warchild) site for the How To write up.

Bryan...I already had the radiator moved out of the way to put on the exhaust...