CBR1100XX.org Forum

TomTom GPS Install

OZDave

OK, I bought the TomTom Rider GPS and now I have installed it.

The technical details are available on the Tomtom site so I won’t go into it here.

The first problem was that a mounting part was left out of the kit. A quick trip back to the store and the problem was rectified. They were very good about it.

Next problem: The kit has about 5 ways to mount the system, none of which work for the Bird. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and thinking, I had to make a custom mount. The mount is 25mm OD pipe with the end capped to weather proof it, and for looks. It is painted by dipping it in etch matt black. It is a little rough as it is only a proof of concept thing at this stage. I’ll make a better looking one later. It is bolted to the bar clamp using the standard bolt and is quiet rigid. It gives a good range of movement for visibility, clears all instruments and does not foul the tank in any direction. I think I’ll patent it. :icon_dance:

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is the bracket I had to make. It's a little rough because I didn't want to spend too much time on something I didn't know would work.

IPB Image

Installed on bar clamp

IPB Image

The pinch bracket needs has a ball on the GPS end so it can swivel. A rubber strip (too thick, I'll fix it) is used to stop movement between the bracket and mount.

IPB Image

Finished view from rider point of view.

IPB Image

Side view

The power cable is routed from the GPS mount with the main loom down the left side of the bike (Some fairing removal needed) and held with cable ties.

Next problem: I know very little about auto electrical work, so a quick call to this site yielded some very useful comments and suggestions. Getting power to the GPS seemed like a good time to add some upgrade capability to the system incase I add some more things later. So, a fuse box, a relay and a lot of fiddling around resulted in the system shown.

IPB Image

Circuit diagram

IPB Image

My real world interpretation of my diagram. :icon_confused:

The power is taken directly from the battery.

The earth used is the one under the tank beside the rear tank mount.

The relay signal is taken from white plug in the middle of the bank of relays. I unplugged it and removed the power side clip from the back of the plug and soldered the signal wire to the clip. The clip was then reinserted into the back of the plug. The plug fitted together as before. (I have no idea what the plug was for. I assumed the current draw would be small enough not to affect anything.) :icon_pray:

Comment/Problems:

*The wiring is not very neat and is only temporary. I’ll need to color strip the ends as the only heavy wire I had was black. I soldered, crimped and shrink wrapped everything mainly for practice for redoing it properly later.

*The Relay is 40 amps but the main power wire is only rated at 20 amps, so the relay fuse is 20 amps. Upgrade later? Nah…I’ll wait until it starts blowing fuses.

*The fuse box is a little tall and fits well….until I tried to put the seat on. :icon_doh: It had to be moved back a little.

*Fuse box and relay is held in with double sided tape. When you stop looking at it, it lets go. Maybe hot melt glue? I don't like drilling holes in pristine plastics.

*I need a better main power pick up. With my clip in place, the red silicone boot on the positive battery terminal won’t fit properly.

*It worked first time. Relay, GPS everything, until I tried to put the seat on. (fixed)

I hope this is of use to someone. Anything I have done wrong, let me know please. As I said, I know very little about auto electrics.

Special thanks to Rockmeupto125. :icon_clap: Help was appreciated.

Hey...someone cares. :icon_dance: I feel validated. Thanks.

I want to hear more about the Tom Tom Rider. Price? Purchase location? Likes and dislikes? Comparisons to other GPS models (if this isn't your first, or if you have experience with other models). I thought about the Tom Tom Rider, but since I have a working GPS I can't justify the expense to the CFO right now, especially after dropping the cash on another bike ("What's wrong with the one you have??") and a new helmet.

You mean like this.

[attachmentid=811]

I was going to....I was just testing you...Mine is better...Alright PlasticxxHead :icon_frown: I should have done that. ...and I was so proud of myself too. :icon_frown:

post-2182-1146752040_thumb.jpg

Shit.. I forgot to mention,,, Nice fabrication job,,,,

I always do that when I come home from the bar and post up without thinking first..

I mean,,.. Nice install .. looks sturdy..

If you want alittle more flexiblity you couls use a ram mount ball from the center of the triple tree..