CBR1100XX.org Forum

Throttle body synch ?

Toynut

Just curious if a TB synch is in order for the XX?

We do them regularly on the FJRs and the Vstroms. I do not see this as a regularly scheduled maintenance procedure in the Honda manuals.

I haven't found too much on the topic on the forum search engine either.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I think I checked them once,they were within limit,but I got them closer anyway.

If you are anal about how engine runs you should check them out after valve check/adjustment.

It is similar to carbed bikes ,I think it takes 5 mm adapters,you synch 1 with 2, 3with 4 ,etc

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself. On the FJR its easy & I assumed that it had to be done on the XX too. But I don't see it scheduled. Funny thing is I looked at a 'Bird that had receipts for a 4,000 mile maintenance. The dealer jacked him for $800 in total! I'm wondering what exactly was done - for crying out loud it only had 4K, seems like an oil change would suffice.

I will say this though - that the bike with a service ran better than the one I looked at with less mileage, so something effective was done. Perhaps a TBS (or something else) is mentioned in the Shop manual?

Hello, Isn't Throttle Body synchronization different from Throttle Adaptation? One of the cars I drive (Audi A8) needs Throttle adaptation; but it doesn't require any synch as it only has one TB where as the CBR -FI has 4?

Im just wondering; does the fuel injected XX have a throttle position sensor for each throttle body or does it just have one at which ever end they are all connected?

Thanks,

Vinay.

The #3 throttlebody is fixed. You use it as your reference, and you adjust the others using a vacuum gauge. If this doesn't seem like enough information, you need to get someone else to do it.

The only throttle synch available according to Honda is to synch the starter valves, since the trhottle bodies are done at the factory in pairs. I've checked them several times over the years and only adjusted them once. I guess you could loosen the true sysnch adjustments and try, but I believe the end result could get ugly.

On a side note, my '04 (56K miles) suddenly wouldn't go to high idle on start-up late last year after a 4000 mile run when I was getting ready to put it up for winter maintenance. Did a valve adjustment (no shims yet), tore the clutch out to check the rattle (clutch plates, etc. fine and reinstalled), and a few other minor things (cleaned and checked all main wiring connectors). When I fired it up this spring still no high idle. Found the starter valves weren't opening, which according to the shop manual meant tear down the wax idle unit, etc. Put a small screw driver in there and "broke free" the starter valves (they were sticking) and have had no problems since.

It takes 1/2-1 hour. The hardest part is not dropping the screws that plug the ports that need to be removed to hook up the vaccuum gauges. I spent an hour trying to find one. I have a 99 with 8k and they were off a bit when I synced them this winter. I didn't notice much of a change, maybee a smoother idle.