CBR1100XX.org Forum

Exhaust Packing Material

Obby

I was just wondering how often you guys re-pack your aftermarket exhausts. The reason I ask is that I'm going to be doing my Micron Dualies soon. After talking to Micron, they suggested doing it at least once a year :icon_eek: . I've had my '97 for like 7 years and never repacked it once :icon_whistle: .

Also, anyone know what/where to get the material? Micron wants $68.00 for both slip-ons! Sound a little expensive for packing to me.

Steve wants his ass packed!!!

(someone had to say it)

I've never repacked mine, either. Looks like it would involve drilling out rivets, etc.

I got like 13k or 14k miles on my Leo's I am just starting to notice they begin to wail some when I get above 7k RPM's :icon_think: :icon_whistle:

The material packing can be purchased at most bike shops.. Or you cna order it surely alot cheaper from places like kneedraggers and tricktape.

I had to repack my D&D on my 750 and bought a package of it for $9 to do the one exhaust can.

You drill the rivets pop off the end cap pull out the perforated core and packing, roll the packing snuggly around the core and put back in and put in new rivets. Don't make it to tight or to loose when rolling the packing.

I got like 13k or 14k miles on my Leo's I am just starting to notice they begin to wail some when I get above 7k RPM's :icon_think: :icon_whistle:

The material packing can be purchased at most bike shops.. Or you cna order it surely alot cheaper from places like kneedraggers and tricktape.

I had to repack my D&D on my 750 and bought a package of it for $9 to do the one exhaust can.

You drill the rivets pop off the end cap pull out the perforated core and packing, roll the packing snuggly around the core and put back in and put in new rivets. Don't make it to tight or to loose when rolling the packing.

Thanks, I was thinking checking out my local motorcycle shop on the way home. Either that or HomeDepot :icon_think:

BTW- My Microns just have allen screws to remove :icon_cool: .

Thanks, I was thinking checking out my local motorcycle shop on the way home. Either that or HomeDepot :icon_think:

Thats cause they are cheap and Micron knows this. So to disassembly of the cans easier for the user they use allen screws :icon_stickpoke:

Honestly I can see the pro's and con's of both rivets and allen screws.. I can see the ease of screws, but they can back out. Rivets are in till drilled out, but that also is a pain and then you must have a rivet gun to put them back together.

:icon_drunks:

Or you could have just bought Scorpion cans, packed with a continuous strand of stainless steel, they NEVER need repacking. :icon_whistle::icon_cool:

Personally I like the sound of the fiberglass packed vs. steel. The Microns sound deep, but smooth. Not raspy, and loud as hell, but that's just my preference. I did like the sound of the StayinTunes though, I just don't know about how good the air flow is on them. Nice units though.

My 2 cents,

Obby

I mix fiber glass and steel wool, both available at home depot .. I use machine screws instead of rivets on my can, so its easy to repack.i just unscrew the endcap and packthe shit down in there, then pop the cap back on... takes about 5 minutes, costs about $5. I use alternating strips of fiberglass and steel wool, pack em in from the end .. i think the steel wool helps hold the fiberglass together longer, but since its so cheap and quick I do it every 6-8k.

I mix fiber glass and steel wool, both available at home depot .. I use machine screws instead of rivets on my can, so its easy to repack.i just unscrew the endcap and packthe shit down in there, then pop the cap back on... takes about 5 minutes, costs about $5. I use alternating strips of fiberglass and steel wool, pack em in from the end .. i think the steel wool helps hold the fiberglass together longer, but since its so cheap and quick I do it every 6-8k.

Thanks Justin. I think I'm going to try the Home Depot approach for a few bucks. For the money and time, I can't loose. From what I understand Micron uses like 3 compounds in making their $35 per can packing material. It's steel wool, fiberglass and a high heat blanket wrap of some kind.

If the cheapy route doesn't work well, I can always chuck out the big bucks to Micron later.

-Obby

I have limited access to some high temperature ceramic fiber insulation. I've been wondering how that would work.

I have limited access to some high temperature ceramic fiber insulation. I've been wondering how that would work.

Most factory cans use Ceramic Fiber.... thats why it lasts..... almost forever.

I'm thinking you need to start selling.... :icon_smile:

Yeah, but Leo's are so sexy :icon_drool::icon_evilgrin:

StainTunes are also stainless inside and never need repacking also I believe... :icon_think:

StainTunes are VERY NICE...but the price tag will give you a heart attack! :icon_biggrin:

Most factory cans use Ceramic Fiber.... thats why it lasts..... almost forever.

I'm thinking you need to start selling.... :icon_smile:

If you call around to your local stove and furnace shops you may be able to get some, that is its primary application.