CBR1100XX.org Forum

Can someone tell me about the instrument lights?

HandyAndy888

I'd check your charging output might be putting out 18 volts if blowing bulbs.

Backlight for insturments I put in 161 bulbs. Not sure about indicator bulbs.

18 VOLTS!!!! Is that possible?

Yes.

When the reg/rec goes bad it either shorts or opens, either not charging or overcharging.

When my bike did it I started blowing headlight bulbs and the fan fuse. Mine was only spikeing to 18 volts occasionally had to keep it hooked up to the meter for a time to notice.

We are talking about a small electronic box that converts the AC output from your bike's alternator into DC current that powers all the electrics and charges the battery. Your 97 has a first generation part that tends to fail (earlier) than the second generation which has cooling fins. Sometimes a blown bulb is just that. If you ride at night and you notice the lights fluctuating at any speed above 2000 rpm, then you may have a problem with the RR. These bikes have a "compact" alternator that really does not have much reserve. Summer riding with the fan running really takes about all of it's output. These voltage spikes are really hard on the solid state stuff and the ECU in particular. If the RR fails in the closed position, it keeps on making power and sending it all over the wiring harness. The voltage should not exceed 15 on the high side and can drop to 10 at idle with the fan on. You can check it with a volt/ohm meter. Some radar detectors monitor this as an added feature. As the bikes age, electrical failures become more common. I can't help you with the bulb size but don't tear into the electrical system because of a bad dash light. I did fit an aftermarket voltmeter to mine so that I would see a problem earlier than later. You can research this topic with the search feture. It has been well covered in this forum

We are talking about a small electronic box that converts the AC output from your bike's alternator into DC current that powers all the electrics and charges the battery. Your 97 has a first generation part that tends to fail (earlier) than the second generation which has cooling fins. Sometimes a blown bulb is just that. If you ride at night and you notice the lights fluctuating at any speed above 2000 rpm, then you may have a problem with the RR. These bikes have a "compact" alternator that really does not have much reserve. Summer riding with the fan running really takes about all of it's output. These voltage spikes are really hard on the solid state stuff and the ECU in particular. If the RR fails in the closed position, it keeps on making power and sending it all over the wiring harness. The voltage should not exceed 15 on the high side and can drop to 10 at idle with the fan on. You can check it with a volt/ohm meter. Some radar detectors monitor this as an added feature. As the bikes age, electrical failures become more common. I can't help you with the bulb size but don't tear into the electrical system because of a bad dash light. I did fit an aftermarket voltmeter to mine so that I would see a problem earlier than later. You can research this topic with the search feture. It has been well covered in this forum

Thanks for the info...two questions...

1. Easy to fix?

2. What search words shoudl I use? I still don;t knwo what the rec thingy is... :icon_confused:

Thanks for the info...two questions...

1. Easy to fix?

2. What search words shoudl I use? I still don;t knwo what the rec thingy is... :icon_confused:

Easy is a relative term. This is easier than a valve check, harder than a grip replacement. Search "Regulator/Rectifier. There is (somewhere) a detailed step by step how to with pictures on changing this part out. A common swap is to use a R/R from Yamaha (R1). They are available regularly on E-BAy. If you are really interested, do the research first. It takes a soldering iron, some spade connectors and electrical tape. The R1 unit is beefier but has one? extra wire that has to be identified and taped back. The second and third generation Honda units are better. The blackbird is somewhat of an orphan and parts are not as plentiful and tend to be pricey. There are lots of squids out there maiming themselves with R1's. I have one I got for $10 plus shipping. I am keeping it as a spare.

This whole discussion is just one of many that have been beaten to the nth degree on this board. I don't think that you will find anything worth mentioning about this particular bike that has not been discussed at length .Collectively, we know our stuff