CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 bird fuel tank, where does this part go

Moriartii

On my 97 bird's fuel tank where does part number 18 go? There are quantity 2 needed of the 80116-MAT-000, Tape.

IPB Image

Crap dont know how to make the pic clickable and/or bigger :(

Kinley

On my 97 bird's fuel tank where does part number 18 go? There are quantity 2 needed of the 80116-MAT-000, Tape.

IPB Image

Crap dont know how to make the pic clickable and/or bigger :(

Kinley

Heres a bigger picture..

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/fue...580&parent=5570

can't really see where its supposed to go ... maybe its the double sided tape that hold the gas tank on?

I'm not 100% sure if #18 is the part, but there are 2 small rectangular adhesive backed rubber pads that go on either side of the underside of the tank near the hole (where grommet #20 goes) to which the rear most tank surround connects. I think they protect the hoses from contact with the tank, but that would lead me to believe that those rubber pads are part #17 since it's description is "hose protector". I don't see any other items under the tank that would fall under the description of "tape" other than those thin rubber pads.

On my '97. I would say that is just the petcock o-ring type gasket to seals the unit in place.

my 2 cents...

-Obby

+1. It looks the same as the one on my '98

two cents more.

WTF!? You're petcocks are sealed with a rectangular shaped "O" ring, or worse yet, tape? :icon_eek::icon_razz:

#5 is the O-ring for the petcock.

He's talking about #18.......that's the rectangular shaped thing toward the center of the pic.......with the number 18 directly above it. :icon_wink:

Not the greatest pic, but the yellow arrows are pointing to the adhesive backed thin rubber pads to which I was refering. They're black and it's pretty dirty, but if you look closely, you can see them. I'm still not 100% sure if these are indeed #18, but they are the only things under the tank that sort of fit the description of "tape" (besides, of course, the actual tape I have covering the sending unit hole)......and there are 2 of them.

IPB Image

Good work Jason! I didn't have time to look up the part, just gave a quick 2 cents as I've been under my carb'd bird before. In any case, thanks for clearing that up.

Personally, I would install those pads, they may prevent tank wear in those spots.

Regards,

Obby

Well here is an update, looks like you were all incorrect. Part number 18, as far as I can tell from replacing the fuel gauge sending unit, the under tank pad, the little black pads pointed out, grommets, tank trim and side trim; is two pieces of frickin tape to hold the sending unit wiring harness to either the tank or to the pad. Honda cant make a suspension worth a shit but they make sure you have tape to stick the harness out of the way when reinstalling the tank :icon_eek:

So mystery solved

Kinley

That's odd because I don't recall there being any tape holding the wiring to the tank under the pad when I removed the sending unit.

As you can see in the pic I posted, the foam tank pad is torn out in order to remove the wiring from underneath. As far as I remember, the tank pad itself is what held the wiring to the tank and not 2 pieces of tape. I could be wrong as it's been awhile since I did that, but I don't remember there being any additional tape.

Interesting.

Anyway, glad you got it all figured out. Just out of curiosity, what did you have to pay for the tape? :icon_eek:

Jason-

I paid $.58 for the tape ea from University Motors. I see what you are saying I and I thought that too about the pad holding the wiring in there. Best I can guess is the tape held the wiring in place while the pad was applied?????

Kinley