CBR1100XX.org Forum

What Clipons for RC51 SP1 Fork Mod?

OzCrow

For those of you that have done the RC51 fork mod what clipons did you end up using that was close to the height/reach/clearance of the OEM ones?

I use TSR clip-ons. Extremely high quality, beautifully made, simple and elegant. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Not sure if 50mm units are available. I had to use 52mm units and had a 1mm shim/collar made that is inserted between the clip-on tube clamp and fork tube. The result is outstanding.

You can see the TSR clip-ons at www.tsrjp.com . I don't think I have any pics of the set-up, but RedJ may have some in a file he has set up with my Bird in it, but again, not sure.

Howie

OK I've sent TSR an email asking if these are still available. :icon_pray: Not holding out too much hope though.

You may be better off emailing my contact. Japan has a BIG problem understanding english. I have been dealing with TSR for 5 years and they have never returned an email. My contact is:

Toru Furumaya at TSR Worldwide, the Euro importer. Email: toru@tsrworldwide.com Tell him I sent you. Also, you should get the bars with 40mm rise and not 18mm rise. So request the 40mm ride when you order. Check out Toru's website www.tsrworldwide.com You will find some nice bits if you have the $$$$, but remember, it is real HRC stuff. And don't forget to tell Toru "Howie" sent you...Cheers,H

Thanks mate I'll send your contact an email. Just after some additional info if he cannot supply. I am using the 954 upper triple clamp (gullwing shape). Will the clip-on be located above or below the triple clamp? I am assuming when you state I will need 40mm rise that applies to the clip-on fitted above the triple clamp?

I'm a bit concerned about clearance with the instrument cluster, especially on full lock and I've noticed some clip-ons have the bars located forward and some off to the side as with the Cycle Cat clip-ons:

http://www.cyclecat.com/SandFtypes1-1.htm

Any advice regarding what clip-ons to fit would be much appreciated. Oh and one last question. Do you know what the fork length difference is between the SP1 and Bird?

Andrew,

Did you get the PM I sent a few days ago?

Doh! :icon_doh: I have now. Dunno how I missed it. Thanks for the info. I have been in touch with Pete over the past few weeks and he has been very helpful. The last set of clip-ons he had fitted were made in Italy but were not ideal either. He suggested maybe get them custom made to suit.

[attachmentid=769]

Thanks mate I'll send your contact an email. Just after some additional info if he cannot supply. I am using the 954 upper triple clamp (gullwing shape). Will the clip-on be located above or below the triple clamp? I am assuming when you state I will need 40mm rise that applies to the clip-on fitted above the triple clamp?

I'm a bit concerned about clearance with the instrument cluster, especially on full lock and I've noticed some clip-ons have the bars located forward and some off to the side as with the Cycle Cat clip-ons:

http://www.cyclecat.com/SandFtypes1-1.htm

Any advice regarding what clip-ons to fit would be much appreciated. Oh and one last question. Do you know what the fork length difference is between the SP1 and Bird?

Clip on will be above the clamp. Clearance is not an issue. If I recall, my bars just made contact with the cluster at full lock, so I put reall small thin self adhesive piece of foam on the lever where it made contact. The 40mm rise is about the same rise as stock, but the TSR bar has a 10-degree drop versus about 5+ for the stockers. Once used to them they do give better positioning and feed-back when scratching.

I looked at the Cycle-Cat bars, to bulky and visually complex for me in appearance and not as nicely finished as the TSR parts.

As for the length comparison I do not have that info handy. I do know that the SP-1 forks are about 1-1.25" longer than SP-2 forks, that is one reason the SP-1 forks are used, as the Bird needs the length and SP-1 forks are a little shorter than the birdie parts, but not by to much....Howie

post-234-1146193943_thumb.jpg

post-234-1146194037_thumb.jpg

post-234-1146194107_thumb.jpg