CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trimming rubber grips

exskibum

First, note that I have always HATED trimming rubber, due to the uneven, shoddy results.

I've probably done this for throttle locks three times now (every one requires mods), and have finally found a way to trim rubber grips that works pretty well and gives a clean result. (I just installed a Vista Cruise on my FJR and the hilt of the OEM grip is too tall, so it needs to be trimmed, but so do most aftermarket grips.)

I have some "hook blades" for one of my 3 or 4 utility knives (aka "boxcutters"), which I use for almost everything, having once been a drywall taper. I bought these blades for use on my composite shingle reroofing project a couple years ago. So . . . I decided to use these hooked blades to cut down the stock grip I removed to facilitate a clean Vista Cruise install.

After removing the grip, I used a 32 mm socket and a red Sharpie to trace a circle on the end of the grip. Then I sat in the sun and sliced into the shank of the grip with the hook blade, rotating it to keep the blade slicing evenly on the line. I did the same thing on the butt end of the grip to shorten it appropriately. It came out much cleaner than any utility knife cut in rubber I've ever made. Then, with my trusty rubber sanding block loaded with course emery cloth, I discovered that it does a great job of smoothing the soft rubber of the grips, taking out start/stop marks and generally abrading the rubber into something that almost looks like it was made that way!!!

Finally -- I'm not going to shy away from these rubber trimming projects anymore due to fear of hideously lame looking results.

If you must cut the grip, try wetting the rubber, you'll find it much easier. Ever wonder why you seem to get more punctures in the wet?

But I've always found the best way is this (may only apply to Honda, don't know about other makes)

remove the bar end

release the small stainless clip that locates in the hole in the inside if the bar

re-fit bolt from bar end

pull like hell on the bolt and draw the inner bar wieght out of the bar just far enough to allow the extra clearance for the grip and/or throttle lock

replace bar end without the clip

job done

Stu