CBR1100XX.org Forum

Making High Mount MidPipes?

sokanxx

Id like to get a set of high mount Erions, but they dont make em like that! I was wondering if anyone has had midpipes made? I was thinking either a chopper shop or muffler shop may be able to custom bend me some midpipes to fit the Erion cans. Is there a reson that no one has had this done before?

My other idea was to buy a single leo vince, or blue flame silencer and make it a single outlet high mount. Then I would powder coat the swing arm black and I think the bike would look pretty racy. The first thing I would want to know is if you think it is reasonable to get a highmount mid pipe custom made. Would it be difficult to make this custome midpipe a single outlet? what are the difficulties I may run into? And second If I were to buy a single Exhaust silencer (blue flame, Leo Vince) would it be best to get one that was made for a litre bike? or does it really matter? I know this idea may be totally rediculous but Its something I've been banging around in my head for a while and wanted to have an idea of what i was getting myself into before I started possibly throwing money away. Thanks guys

Go with the Hindles, instead.

tjvulvula can hook you up.

Do you know about how much they cost?

Also I was wondering if you have heard the Hindles on an XX? I've heard a Hindle on a Hayabusa and it was really really quiet. I'd go so far as to say the Hindle on a Hayabusa was almost as quiet as stock. Are they really, really quiet on our Blackbirds as well?

Are the Hindle for the XX single or dual exhaust? Could you possibly compare the sound to another company? I'd forgotten that Hindle still made highmounts for our XX's. I knew that MIG quite making highmounts for the XX and thought i was outta luck for highmounts!

Id like to get a set of high mount Erions, but they dont make em like that! I was wondering if anyone has had midpipes made? I was thinking either a chopper shop or muffler shop may be able to custom bend me some midpipes to fit the Erion cans. Is there a reson that no one has had this done before?

If I were still in NY, and had access to the exhaust shops that I did while I was there, I'd try to have some custom mid pipes made myself for my D&D's. You could use regular steel pipe and have it sent out to be ceramic coated.

Do you know about how much they cost?

Also I was wondering if you have heard the Hindles on an XX? I've heard a Hindle on a Hayabusa and it was really really quiet. I'd go so far as to say the Hindle on a Hayabusa was almost as quiet as stock. Are they really, really quiet on our Blackbirds as well?

Are the Hindle for the XX single or dual exhaust? Could you possibly compare the sound to another company? I'd forgotten that Hindle still made highmounts for our XX's. I knew that MIG quite making highmounts for the XX and thought i was outta luck for highmounts!

Hindle just started making them last year, and Dave's bike was the prototype for design.

Not sure of cost, but if you check Hindle's website, you should find it. The cans come in all sorts of different colors, give a nice bark. Definitely louder than stock, and similar to the Mig's. No clamps on the cans, either.

Do a search for Hindle with tjvulvula posting, and you should find it. Either that, or PM him. I figured he would have chimed in here by now... :icon_whistle:

If I were still in NY, and had access to the exhaust shops that I did while I was there, I'd try to have some custom mid pipes made myself for my D&D's. You could use regular steel pipe and have it sent out to be ceramic coated.

If you do contact Hindle and they still offer the high mount let me know how you make out as I've been searching for the same thing........

I am trying tp do the same thing..

I had Jerry (beagle) send me a tracing of his migs.. so I could try yo figure out the dimensions..

I am working on an R1 highmount exhaust for the bird.. just need that all important mandrel bending machine hook-up..

When I called and asked about the highmounts, they quoted just over $300 for the midpipes, if I remember correctly.

That being said, you still need to buy cans to put on the end of them, as Hindle doesn't seem to offer bundles.

When I called and asked about the highmounts, they quoted just over $300 for the midpipes, if I remember correctly.

That being said, you still need to buy cans to put on the end of them, as Hindle doesn't seem to offer bundles.

So with that said one would assume this to be depending on the can selection a $1200 or so venture?? Dave??? :icon_think:

I would imagine they don't offer bundles because you can choose from so many different options.

Round or oval, race or stealth, length and finish of the can.

Lew, IIRC a set of mids, and two aluminum cans were in the $900US range. More for different finishes.

I would imagine they don't offer bundles because you can choose from so many different options.

Round or oval, race or stealth, length and finish of the can.

Lew, IIRC a set of mids, and two aluminum cans were in the $900US range. More for different finishes.

Dave, the mid pipes are a gimme as it is the best design I have seen being that it omits the clamp on the can. On your Bird the Blue cans are money. But for me I'm into the low maintenance and the look of quality SS and I 'm going to continue to shop around for SS can's with the same overall dimensions as your Hindle's for the moment until I get a little further along.........