CBR1100XX.org Forum

Quickie Factory jetting question regarding needle clip position

Master Of Pain

I have a 97, intact airbox, FactoryPro Ti jet kit, full Yoshi RS-3 system and I am going from a K&N back to the stock filter. My current needle positon is clipped second from the bottom. Should I move it up a notch?

:icon_pray:

I wouldn't bother. I doubt you will see enough increase in flow rate to require anything as drastic as a notch of needle position. Maybe, and that is just maybe, a 1/4 turn on the air bleeds. If it's running OK now, I'd leave it alone.

I'm factually challenged when it comes to carbed birds but I thought the OEM needles only had one notch. Kitted units come with extras.

I wouldn't bother. I doubt you will see enough increase in flow rate to require anything as drastic as a notch of needle position. Maybe, and that is just maybe, a 1/4 turn on the air bleeds. If it's running OK now, I'd leave it alone.

I'm factually challenged when it comes to carbed birds but I thought the OEM needles only had one notch. Kitted units come with extras.

The reason I asked is that since I changed over, it's not pulling as hard past 8K (feels surgy) and there is a little dip that can be felt at part throttle when running at speed in 4-5 gear.

That sounds rich to me rather than lean. Soft in the upper range and soft again in mid range throttle response.

Carbs can be tridksy things to get just perfect and the pipe could be complicating matters creating dips and whoops in the torque curve.

You can help sort the upper jetting out by doing a plug chop. But you'll need a trailer or better yet, a drag strip, to do it on the XX.

Full throttle run through the gears up to whatever the local roads will allow. Chop throttle, pull in clutch and hit the kill switch. Don't run the motor again till you pull the plugs and, using a lighted magnifier, get a good look at the bottom of the insulator, not the top. Unleaded gas burns grey and is harder to read but a nice light grey ring is what you are looking for. Adjust main jets accordingly and then see where you are at in terms of the mid range.

Old farts like myself have been known to fit tiny little washers under the needle clip to get 1/2 steps. At speed, I assume you are talking highway speeds, you probably are not at more than 10 to 15% throttle and the pilot jet settings can still have some influence there as well.

Have fun!!