CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need Part #'s please.

Canada0937

Okay guys, what started off as a quick 20 min. oil change has turned into a bbbbbbiiiiigggg mess. Instead of just an oil change, I also did a coolant flush and refill AND change my air filter AND took out my thermostat. That's where the problem is...I over torqued a bolt in the thermostat housing cover and it's fucked...I've tried drilling it out and it's not moving...SO, I need to find the part numbers for the thermostat housing and cover please....as well as if there is a gasket between the housing and cover. I know there is a gasket between the housing and engine, so if you could please get me the part number for the gasket as well, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Took out the thermostat to see if it would run a little cooler this season...the bike is a 99 and I have had heat issues since the beginning...nothing serious...just want it to run a little cooler. I tried that thread, but after the day I had, I didn't have the patience to sift through it.

Found it! Thanks for the link!

Okay, now I need an explanation as to how it all works. My thought was that the thermostat would stay closed until the engine got to operating temps, then it would open, allowing the coolant/antifreeze to circulate through the system, thus keeping it at a constant 'ideal' temp. - not too hot, not too cold.

By me removing the thermostat, the coolant would flow through immediately....keeping the engine temp cooler, earlier.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I'm fairly new to DIY. I just didn't want to spend another $1300 to my shop's service department and have them not fix the problem again.

Well technically your right it should do that, but I don't see it helping with the bike getting hot...

The only time you SHOULD see the effect is on startup, bike will take longer to warm up. You might also get lower temps on the highway while your moving. But I've never heard of anyone having problems with heat in ether case..

If you don't get lower temps while you're rolling, you know the problem isn't with the thermo. Likely the radiator is blocked/fins bent, or there's something else wrong; water pump, blockages, etc...

Right! On the highway or while I'm moving, the bike is perfect...as many of you are encountering, when we're in stop and go traffic, it's an issue. With my bike though, I don't think I should see the upper quarter of the temp gauge until mid summer. Right now, it's only 47 degrees out and on the first stop light, I'm almost into the red zone on the temp gauge. It might just be a faulty sensor...since the bike has never over heated AND since the temp gauge is 'normal' when I'm moving, I don't think it's the radiator...yes some of my fins are bent and I've spent many hours straightening as many as I could...any other ideas?