CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to replace valve cover gasket

Mikey

I bought the gasket, I'm putting it on today. Do I need to put anything from a tube on the surface or is the gasket good enough? I don't have my manual with me today.

If you are lucky enough to take it out of the packaging and have it lay properly in its final correct oreintation, it will seal by itself.

Frequently, however, one has to apply a little bit of Permatex Hi-Temp sealant (or equivalent) to ensure the corners, half-moons, etc of the gasket lay properly and remain in position while you install the valve cover.

+1 to what Warchild said.

The manual recommends sealant in the semi circular areas on the cylinder head by the cam sprockets.

If you think you might need the relevant pages from the manual, I can scan and send them to you. Just PM your email address to me and I'll shoot 'em on over.

Exactly...just be careful what you use if you use anything to hold the gasket in place...the guy that owned the gf's FZ600 used that "form-a-gasket" crap and it actually made the gasket crack. I had to replace that valve cover gasket last week and it's a pain to get the gasket situated without any "gouP" aid but well worth the bother. Honda designed the gaskets to seal so they should be left to do so unaided.

IMO

The problem is that the ridge it fits in is on the lid, so it won't stay in place while I figure out how to screw around and get the cover in place.

Ok, I give up. How the HELL do I get the valve seal to stay in place while I wrestle the cover into position with that damn plastic shield? The seal keeps falling off. I've put the gasket stuff on the half moon area, however the damn seal keeps falling off as I attempt to put it on the head. I'm going to toss this fucking thing across the room. And the plastic shield is NOT helping. It keeps pushing the gasket off as I push to get the cover past that god-damn shield.

K, I'm feeling better.

I feel your pain. Everytime I do it I think about cutting that plastic shield shorter. What's its purpose in life???

My valve cover gasket doesn't try to come out though, must take a "set". Only when you put on a new one do you have problems.

I used a small dab of sealant (same stuff I used for the cam cutouts) at key points to hold it in the channel while I placed it, as Dale suggested above.

It is still a PITA, but doable. I had the radiator off, so the shield wasn't a problem for me, though.

If you're that frustrated, remove the shield. You can do it without removing the radiator, just remove the upper mounting bolts so only the hoses are holding it in place and you can weasel the shield out of there.

I coated one side of mine with red high temperature Perma-Tex. I used the same stuff on the half moons. Probably not the most elegant solution, but it held the gasket in place and it doesn't leak.

Ok, went to Canadian Tire (uh, Canadian thing) and got gasket remover to help get rid of the HUGE mess I made with the sealent. While I was there I notice right beside was a high tack gasket spray. I read the label and it's to hold heavy gaskets inplace during installation!

So I'm going to give that a shot tonight. If I didn't see that, I was going to do the dab idea.

Thanks guys, wish me luck. It's been warm here and the dirtbike isn't completely doing it for me.

After fucking with reinstalling the valve cover for 2 hours the first time I did it, I decided to follow the manual's instructions and unbolt the oil cooler in put it in from the front. Went in directly after that. :icon_wall:

Fuck, pinched the gasket at the same place the last shop pinched it. Would have caused the same oil leak. So I'm off to order the gasket again. 45 bucks. Fuck.

I'll find my manual and see if it gives me a simple way to do it. Otherwise I'm towing it to the dealer to get them to put on the cover. That way if they pinch it, it's there problem. Last place wasn't the dealer, it was just a shop.

Fuck fuck fuck. I'm soooooo pissed.