CBR1100XX.org Forum

Head shake...

SpokaneXX

Finally got the 'Bird out for short ride today and discovered that anytime I let go of the bars at any speed between 40 and 60 she started to oscillate like a metronome. Just the lightest touch on the bars stopped the head shake but if I let it go it would have become a full on tank slapper. I'venever experienced anything like this before on this bike.

Only changes are the addition of VFR bars and Givi bags,(bags empty.) Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon

Only changes are the addition of VFR bars and Givi bags,(bags empty.) Any thoughts?

There's been discussion in old threads of the givi setup causing weight distribution differences... causing what you describe. I had a case of this as well...

#2, cupped front contributes to the above even more so.

Good to hear you had her out... it's 70+ here today!

It is more tire related than anything else. No big deal and really isn't a head shake. That one shows up under power when exiting a corner and is far more severe than that little wooble. Mine does it if I let go of the bars in that speed range. 8K miles on the front Z6 and it is really noticiable, about a 2" oscillation either side of center. My solution? Don't let go of the bars below 60. Seems fine at 100.

BTW, my rear Z6 went from looking good enough that I was going to ride it to Denver today from Columbia, MO. Weather in Salt Lake City and Nortward changed my mind and a good thing. I got 250 miles homeward and the rear tire went from looking pretty good to cord showing. Limped about 30 more miles into Padukah and the nice folks at FDR Honda put a D208 on to get me home. I'll probably put the 208 on the 1100S when I get home and throw a set of Pilot Roads on big red.

Finally got the 'Bird out for short ride today and discovered that anytime I let go of the bars at any speed between 40 and 60 she started to oscillate like a metronome. Just the lightest touch on the bars stopped the head shake but if I let it go it would have become a full on tank slapper. I'venever experienced anything like this before on this bike.

Thanks,

Jon

On the way back from TEXXT last year, I noticed an the front end wobble on decelleration with my Givis, including the top box...not much stuff loaded. Removed the Givis and cannot get the front end to wobble anymore...that maybe it

I think it probably has to do with the bags and will remove them and try again as soon as weather permits. Don't think it's wheel/head bearings as everything was fine when I put her away last fall. It wasn't just a little wobble...the longer I kept from touching the bars the worse the oscillations got...into the very uncomfortable zone.

At 70 plus this didn't occur...

Thanks for all the input.

J